• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trio For Bassoon, Piano, and Flute

Share/Bookmark

Trio For Bassoon, Piano, and Flute

Here is a piece I composed for a friend of mine and his wife to perform. Hopefully the premiere will be soon.

Until then, here is my GPO version:

Trio for Flute, Bassoon, and Piano
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Trio For Bassoon, Piano, and Flute

Jess,

This is an amazing work. What an excellent composition and very tastefully arranged. I liked how the instruments gracefully interweave and dance with each other.

Thank you for posting Trio for Flute, Bassoon, and Piano Please let us know about the premiere of the performance.

Gary Garritan

Thanks!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Very nice. Very different form the violin concerto you recently posted (I liked that too). This has a more “modern” feel to it, at least to me. Let us know how the premiere goes.
    Trent P. McDonald

Wow! This is INCREDIBLE! I listened to it four times in a row and it just got better each time.

There is so much music going on in this trio. I was engaged every moment. There's just so much of it that I like, where to begin...The opening and closing are so ponderous and haunting with those wide intervals and--not tense, but uncertain harmony. I hesitate to say it is melancholy because listening to it, I felt anything but. Were you inspired by Hindemith or Poulenc? The harmony and general style feels reminiscent.

The only critique I have to offer is purely technical: I feel that the wind parts could be smoothed out a bit more, particularly in the trills. If I'm dealing with a lot of exposed trills in the winds, depending on the instrument and the notes they are playing, I'll increase the polyphony setting to 2, however still using cc64. Just a personal preference.

Excellent work. I must say that I like this even more than your Violin Concerto. Something about this piece really spoke to me. I'd love to hear a live performance.

Jess,

I thought I'd add a little about trills. The trills in your piece are really the only things that leave room for significant improvement. I'm guessing here of course, but they actually don't sound to me like the sustain pedal was applied. The first note of a trill should have sustain pedal up (cc64, value 0) and then, before the "note on" of the second note of the trill, sustain pedal down data should be placed in the track (cc64, value 127). Pedal down remains until the last not of the trill has sounded. The sustain pedal activates the "slur" function and smoothes transitions (remember, except for the first note, trills are always slurred in wind instruments.)

One caution if you increase the polyphony to "2" as jmc suggested above: Increasing the polyphony will disable the tongue-slur function of the sustain pedal, but give it a try and see which approach you prefer. If you do decide to use increased polyphony you may wish to confine the increased polyphony to just the trills by using a separate flute track for just that purpose, leaving the tongue/slur function of the first instrument active for everything else by keeping the polyphony at "1" for that instrument. Also, be very careful to not allow any note overlaps during the trill if you increase the polyphony. Note overlaps are handled automatically if you keep the polyphony at "1."

Tom

Ahh. You are correct. I need to suggest to the guy working on Human Playback in Finaleto have that be an automatic function. I will have to go through all of my stuff and put in the sustain functions now... boo.

Thanks for the tech advice guys. I will replace the mp3 above in the next couple of days.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The first note of a trill should have sustain pedal up (cc64, value 0) and then, before the "note on" of the second note of the trill, sustain pedal down data should be placed in the track (cc64, value 127). Pedal down remains until the last not of the trill has sounded.
    Tom,
    should the same technique be used for strings?
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    Tom,
    should the same technique be used for strings?
    No. In the case of section strings, of course, tremolos and trills are actual recordings. In the case of solo strings the "playable" trills of the update handle things automatically. In fact, the sustain pedal has no effect on the tremolos or trills since everything is indeed handled automatically with release triggers. One big difference between solo wind instruments and solo strings is in the area of polyphony. Wind instruments are (for all practical purposes) monophonic instruments. That's why the sustain pedal tongue/slur function is implemented as it is. Strings instruments, on the other hand, are polyphonic. The occurrence of note overlaps is common and, in the case of techniques like double and triple stops, often specified. These instruments are never set to a polyphony of "1" and the function of the sustain pedal is confined to activating the legato mode for sustain-type articulations which is somewhat different than the transition control in winds for tongue/slur. Once again though, for tremolos and trills just play them and things will work automatically.

Tom

This is marvelous! I would like to hear it live.

Rich
    Richard Galbraith

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast