• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Nuclear proliferation

Share/Bookmark

Nuclear proliferation

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Not being a total fool, I sure don't want it. But do we actually have any right to demand that North Korea or Iran not have "nookyoulare weppinz?"

What if they said what I'd say in their place: "You go first!"

Re: Nuclear proliferation

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Not being a total fool, I sure don't want it. But do we actually have any right to demand that North Korea or Iran not have "nookyoulare weppinz?"

Nick, the social psychology involved is very interesting, and probably one of the main reasons i always question rational discourse based on logical deductions, even the most intelligent can be unaware of inconsistencies that remain hidden in the social sphere, while at the same time give incredible detailed anaylsis of data outside the social sphere. Man is a social animal that thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf

Precisely.

JG

This is seriously irresponsible journalism if it can even be called that.

Read the title. Read the writers opening paragraph which is in effect a restatement and interpretation of the title. Then in the second paragraph, read the quote upon which the title and first paragraph are based.

Two entirely different things being said here. I find this disgusting because it intentionally creates more misunderstanding, hatred and fear by twisting the facts.

"RAFSANJANI SAYS MUSLIMS SHOULD USE NUCLEAR WEAPON AGAINST ISRAEL

"TEHRAN 14 Dec. (IPS) One of Iran’s most influential ruling cleric called Friday on the Muslim states to use nuclear weapon against Israel, assuring them that while such an attack would annihilate Israel, it would cost them "damages only".

"If a day comes when the world of Islam is duly equipped with the arms Israel has in possession, the strategy of colonialism would face a stalemate because application of an atomic bomb would not leave any thing in Israel but the same thing would just produce damages in the Muslim world", Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani told the crowd at the traditional Friday prayers in Tehran."

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck
    This is seriously irresponsible journalism if it can even be called that.

Read the title. Read the writers opening paragraph which is in effect a restatement and interpretation of the title. Then in the second paragraph, read the quote upon which the title and first paragraph are based.

Two entirely different things being said here. I find this disgusting because it intentionally creates more misunderstanding, hatred and fear by twisting the facts.

"RAFSANJANI SAYS MUSLIMS SHOULD USE NUCLEAR WEAPON AGAINST ISRAEL

"TEHRAN 14 Dec. (IPS) One of Iran’s most influential ruling cleric called Friday on the Muslim states to use nuclear weapon against Israel, assuring them that while such an attack would annihilate Israel, it would cost them "damages only".

"If a day comes when the world of Islam is duly equipped with the arms Israel has in possession, the strategy of colonialism would face a stalemate because application of an atomic bomb would not leave any thing in Israel but the same thing would just produce damages in the Muslim world", Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani told the crowd at the traditional Friday prayers in Tehran."
    I don't think they're saying "two entirely different things" at all.

The Iranian threat is implicit, yet clear:
    We can sustain a nuclear hit; they can't.

You say you "find this disgusting because it intentionally creates more misunderstanding, hatred and fear by twisting the facts."

Too bad you don't feel the same way about the following line, also taken from the article: "Jews shall expect to be once again scattered and wandering around the globe the day when this appendix is extracted from the region and the Muslim world."

Funny, to me, it sounds like hatred and fear is EXACTLY what he means to create.

Isreal is on Borrowed time if we let anyone near them have nukes. For that reason alone we must stop them despite the glaring hypocrisy. Isreal must survive...they have been through enough.

ed

Not talked about much these days, is it? But it is THE issue in the Middle East, and to a lesser extent in the world as a whole.

Fact is, the cold war is over, but there are still THOUSANDS of this bombs facing in various directions around the world, still in Russia facing the US and China, and of course, still in the US facing, well, who knows? Still on nuclear subs around the world, too.

And guess what, the Nukes on US subs alone are sufficient to completely wipe out life as we know it on the planet! Remember, folks, we're not talking about those puny little guys that were dropped on Japan. Those aren't even as powerful as current "tactical" Nukes! We're not talking "Atomic" bombs. Man, that's kid's stuff. We're talking hi-tech hydrogen bombs, bombs that are infinitely more destructive and radioative.

Makes you think, doesn't it? All these babies pointed in various directions around the world, and we call this the 21st century?

-----------------------

OK, so Iraq wants the bomb. On the one hand, I'd say the first rule is NO Proliferation. Period. Because, believe you me, if they're allowed to proliferate further, we and our kids and our music will all be dead for sure.

On the other hand, if I were an Iranian or an Arab living in any one of the Middle East Arab nations, I sure as heck wouldn't feel good living next to Israel armed with nukes. OF COURSE, I'd want them!!!!! Why not? If Israel has them, why shouldn't I? In fact (so their governments will plausibly argue) isn't it our obligation to have an arsenal?

That doesn't make the Iranians right, but it sure makes their position understandable.

The region is one gigantic powderkeg, and with a Dummy for US president I'm not feeling that good for all the children of this world that'll have to inherit this incredible mess. If they survive to deal with the problem, that is.

The right course, obviously, is for the big nuke powers to start publicly and verifiably reducing stockpiles. Only then does the US, Russia, France, and their ilk have the moral right to tell Iran, N.Korea, et al to stop research and production. It's the big powers who are the criminals in all this, not the little guys.

JG

Oh, and I forget to mention, it follows that Israel made a big boo boo going nuclear. Not merely because it's inherently wrong and immoral, but also because it's just plain stupid foreign policy. Fact is, unless Russia, France, UK, and the US can get their act together, Nukes in the Arab Middle East are inevitable. The planners in Israel should have predicted this. They didn't. And now they're screwed. For the time being, that is.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Israel had MORE than sufficient conventional weaponry to annihilate the Arab world. It didn't NEED Nukes.

Now it faces a gigantic threat, and it has no moral or diplomatic resources to garner the world support to confront the Arab nuke threat. It'll have to hope that its intelligence is good enough to locate and destroy the bomb research factories. (Ironically, any Nukes dropped on Israel will most certainly kill more Palestinians than Israelis, since the fallout will spread to the Palestinian territories, and since their are, let's not forget, quite a few Palestinian Israelis.)

Much better, wouldn't you say, to stop usurping more Palestinian land, to stop tweeking the Arab nose, to stop relegating Palestinian Israelis to the status of second-class citizens, and, indeed: to start plowing billions into rebuilding the Palestinian territories? That's what the Marshall plan did for Germany; that's what the US did in S. Korea, and that's what the Israelis and Americans will do in the Middle East, if they're smart, and if they have the guts.

JG

Well, the problem with the nuclear weapon is that if you use it in the neighborhood, you just have to pray that the wind is in the good direction...

Is Iran so distant from Israel ?

If I were Israeli, I wouldn’t fell so secure to have the bomb !

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast