• Register
  • Help

Topic: Random Notes in Ggiastudio

Share/Bookmark

Random Notes in Ggiastudio

Hey folks,
    I did a search in the hardware and software forums and don\'t think I\'ve found what I\'m looking for.
    I\'m having trouble triggering my Giga samples. When I strike my controller, sometimes I get the note, sometimes NOTHING, and sometimes random polyphony. Also, when I look at my MIDI interface everything looks ok BUT all my MIDI output indiacators \'light up\'. At first I thought it was my controller which is an OLD VFX. But I just tried it with some other midi applications aside from Giga studio and sll lthe virtual instruments in other applications worked fine.
    Here\'s my setup:
    Gigastudio on PC
    Frontier Wave Design Card (Lightpiped to MAC)
    Pro Tools LE on MAC
    Logic Audio on MAC
    Unitor 8 midi interface

i could really use help. I\'m a writer and kinda slow to technical stuff, so feel free to school me on Gigastudio. My PC was built by Sound chaser

Re: Random Notes in Ggiastudio

BUMP

Still happening. Anyone can help me?

Have you considered composing aleatoric music?

-Shawn

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by JohnnyP:
    BUMP

Still happening. Anyone can help me?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hail Sinfonia, bro!!!

It sounds to me like you could have a MIDI feedback loop going. That would explain random runaway polyphony and weird timing.

Load up an instrument into one of the Giga ports, and click on a key of the little graphic Keyboard under the MIDI Mixer sliders. If you get a clean, single note, then you\'re internally OK, and you can probably look for solutions in your external MIDI rig somewhere.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Bruce,

>Hail Sinfonia, bro!!!
    Ok cool cool. Do I know you from OSU or UM? I had looked at your profile of your company a few weeks ago and went, \'hmmm. There\'s something familiar about the guy.\'

>It sounds to me like you could have a MIDI >feedback loop going. That would explain random >runaway polyphony and weird timing.
    Yup. I feel it\'s a MIDI thing and not a hardware thing.

>Load up an instrument into one of the Giga
    >ports, and click on a key of the little graphic >Keyboard under the MIDI Mixer sliders. If you >get a clean, single note, then you\'re internally >OK, and you can probably look for solutions in >your external MIDI rig somewhere.
    Yeah. That\'s the thing, the notes are clean so I was trying to figure out if there was a tab or page in Gigastudio somewhere I\'m missing. I\'ll check behind my rig.

Thanks for posting. I\'m new to the forum but it appears that unless your talking samples; things are kinda dead.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by JohnnyP:
    Do I know you from OSU or UM? I had looked at your profile of your company a few weeks ago and went, \'hmmm. There\'s something familiar about the guy.\'
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Probably not, although I\'ve got a classmate or two at OSU teaching. I studied under Jim Keene at ETSU, until I got wise that music Ed. and me were not a great fit, at least not in the traditional sense.

I\'ve been writing for ProRec.com for several years...that might be the connection.

Hope the MIDI problems go away!!

Best regards,
    Bruce

You\'re right Jonathan, most of the users here tend to hang on the library forum. Sometimes you can post at the other forums and be overlooked.

Did you sus what was causing your midi panic? I agree with Bruce that it sounds like a loop. The only other time I see reaction like that is when the sequencer and GS are on the same machine and the CPU starts to buckle. First timing drifts, then you get noticeable gaps where notes aren\'t delivered, then they\'re spewed out in random groups, including what you might be trying to do live.

On the other hand, with Giga on its own PC, things are usually far better behaved, although a few people have suggested that they\'re more likely to get a crash when polyphony is maxed out.

Hope you sorted things...

Chadwick,

>Did you sus what was causing your midi panic? I >agree with Bruce that it sounds like a loop.\\
    Well actually my Giga is on PC and my sequencer is on a MAC.
    The problem is my MIDI interface. After reading both yours and Bruces\'s suggestions I checked all the connections and things seemed ok to me. All I have is the controller and my PC running GIGA USB\'d to the MAC. I accidently turned off my MIDI interface and the problem stopped and my OMS gave me an error as well as Logic my sequencer. The error message prompted me to download the latest drivers for the interface.
    PROBLEM SOLVED so far. Thanks again and I\'m a happy composer again! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good to hear. I wasn\'t going to suggest drivers for the Frontier because I thought they were one of the more \'reliable\' manufacturers. Nice to know for future reference tho.

Chadwick

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Good to hear. I wasn\'t going to suggest drivers for the Frontier because I thought they were one of the more \'reliable\' manufacturers. Nice to know for future reference tho.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh yeah. Let me clarify. the Problem was with my MIDI interface by Emagic, not my sound card which is a light pipe card from Frontier.
    Thanks for the advice and all. Incindentally I was able to make a couple of deadlines. WHEW!

Go Back to forum