• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Help with DP 4.12

Share/Bookmark

Need Help with DP 4.12

Hi All DP Users:

Never had a problem like this before in 17 years of sequencing.

Wanted to import an SMF made in Logic Gold V. 6.01 to DP so that I could use the Steinway (lite) for a GPO site demo.

Made the SMF of the piano file (one track only) in Logic. I saved it to the "desktop" for easy finding.

Opened DP 4 and then used the "Open" command first. Received an error message, "An error occurred whle reading from disk. The file "pianomedley.mid" was not loaded."

Clicked OK and DP 4 crashed.

Tried to drag the SMF file from the desktop into the "Chunks" window of a new file I made especially for the piano medley. It wouldn't go in--just kept springing back to the desktop.

What am I doing wrong? I remade the SMF in Logic 6 THREE times with the same results. Never had this happen before in all my experience with MIDI.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Need Help with DP 4.12

Hi John,

I never had your specific problem since I don't own Logic, but one thing I have learned about dragging midi files into DP is this.

Drag the file into the Tracks window, but make sure you drag it all the way over to the left into the part of the window where the input/output info and track names etc. live. Dragging the file into the chunks part will just cause DP to hiccup the file back to the desktop.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can be more specific about your problem.

Good luck with it,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi John,

I never had your specific problem since I don't own Logic, but one thing I have learned about dragging midi files into DP is this.

Drag the file into the Tracks window, but make sure you drag it all the way over to the left into the part of the window where the input/output info and track names etc. live. Dragging the file into the chunks part will just cause DP to hiccup the file back to the desktop.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can be more specific about your problem.

Good luck with it,

Karl
    Karl:

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried this even before you mentioned it, but it didn't work. I recently upgraded the Mac OS X from 10.3.3 to 10.3.5. I don't suppose that would have interfered with anything, except I have noted in November's "Keyboard" magazine that a reviewer of the new Kontakt had a problem on his Mac after installing a newer OS X. Seemed like it interfered with the full Kontakt version. He had to reinstall everything again and had to call NI personally because he was used up on his two installs. He finally got it working again and praised the new Kontakt. But, hey, this is a high-powered writer for Keyboard so he is going to get special treatment anyway.

Thanks again, will keep trying.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I don't have an direct experience with Logic-generated SMFs, but I would assume that Emagic knows what they're doing. I do use SMFs with DP occasionally and have never experienced ANY problems importing them. This leads me to suspect some sort of problem with your directory or file permissions. Try running Disk Utility, and repair permissions on your hard drive. You also might try repairing your directory (do a single-user boot by restarting while holding down Cmd-S, then type "fsck -yf" at the prompt and hit return, then when it is finished, type "reboot" and hit return. You also might consider trashing DP's preferences (home/Library/Preferences/Digital Performer/).

It is good practice in Mac OSX to run fsck and then repair permissions after any major system upgrade or other installation.

good luck -

brian

Hi Brian:

Thanks for responding. Your advice is something everyone should heed and I have repaired permissions before. The other checks are new, but useful and I will store away them away for further use.

What I did during my post-problem investigation was to make a new SMF from Logic 6 then immediately transfer it to DP 4.12. This worked flawlessly and triggered the question, "Why didn't the initial file work?"

I may have been remiss in stating in my original message that the File that I made the SMF of was a V. 2.5 Logic file that was upgraded to V. 3.5 and then to V. 5.X INSIDE of Logic (an automatic thing that Logic 6 does when accepting older files). Upgrading this file in stages may have been a reason that the SMF was not made correctly, OR, the 3.5 floppy I used wasn't doing its job--however I ruled that out because I made an SMF of the V2.5 Logic file instead of entering it into the Logic 6 for upgrading and put it on the same floppy. It worked FLAWLESSLY.

Some quirk with the first file, I guess, but everything is OK now. And, I have learned a few things solving this problem.

Thanks again all, and Happy Thanksgiving.

John

Go Back to forum