• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reduced scores

Share/Bookmark

Reduced scores

I found out how to produce reduced scores (I've been mistakingly calling them condensed scores . . . condensed scores are different) in Overture SE! This is probably available in other notation program as well, if you do some fooling around.

A reduced score is simply a way to save space by only showing the notation for the instruments that are being played. For example, if you've writing a symphony, it would waste space to keep showing the woodwinds section if they don't come in until half way through the symphony or something. Many scores you find in bookstores are done like this. It can save a lot of paper!

Here's how to do it in Overture SE: select Score -> Hide/Show Staves... then check the "AutoHide" button and drag the number of systems up to it's maximum (which depends on the length of your piece). Hit "okay" and you're done! I don't know why I didn't see it before . . .

If you've already discovered this . . . you should've told me!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Reduced scores

Hee hee. I wish I could tell you all about Ove 4's stuff, but then I'd have to hunt you down and give you a serious talking too.

Sean,

A note of warning: the cutout score option is mostly used for making a "study" score for students. Conductors' scores almost never chop out the resting parts, as this causes the instruments to jump around from page to page. In a work environment, consitency of placement is relatively more important than saving paper.

A note of warning: the cutout score option is mostly used for making a "study" score for students. Conductors' scores almost never chop out the resting parts, as this causes the instruments to jump around from page to page. In a work environment, consitency of placement is relatively more important than saving paper.
    Thanks! Yes, I realize this. Samuel Adler has quite a good section on notation and scoring in the back of his "Study of Orchestration" 3rd edition book, which is a great resource.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Hee hee. I wish I could tell you all about Ove 4's stuff, but then I'd have to hunt you down and give you a serious talking too.
    So, without having to hunt us down, can you give us a hint on when it might be available?
    Trent P. McDonald

When Overture 4 comes out, will they update Overture SE as well?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    So, without having to hunt us down, can you give us a hint on when it might be available?
    First of the year, is what I'm hearing, but please don't hold anyone to that. There are some marvelous enhancements to this version and a lot of them will probably change the face of notation programs. There's a lot on offer and more coming since a lot of the features may have to come in the form of an update after the program is released.

Sean, I don't know if SE will be updated or what. The upgrade price will remain similar to what it is now and the upgrade price from version 3 to 4 will not be bad if you own the full version now. Much less than what the competitors are charging I think.

More to come when I can tell...

Go Back to forum