• Register
  • Help

Topic: Layering Pianos

Share/Bookmark

Layering Pianos

Anyone had good results layering different piano samples to create a unique sound? I've experimented from time to time, usually with less than desirable results. But I recently layered the Bards Bose with the Vintaduio C7 for a gospel piece, and with the right blend, I'm getting a nice chorused, fat sound.

Here's a very brief clip of the intro:

http://www.sportersstudio.com/Songs/PFIntro.mp3

Anyone else played around with this?

Re: Layering Pianos

I use the Artvista Malmsjö with the PMI Bösendorfer 290 as the Malmsjö doesn't have fortissimo layers and is often too dull-sounding to fit in a mix. The Malmsjö softens the Bösendorfer nicely and gives it more body. There are differences with the tuning from note to note so the blend isn't perfect. Still in a somewhat crowded mix the illusion is very believable.

Smile Re: Layering Pianos

Hi Sporter!

Really nice short clip! Can you please give me some insights about the vintaudio YAMAHA C7 player position: playability, layering....thanks very much!

Sam

Re: Layering Pianos

Quote Originally Posted by samwhite
    Hi Sporter!

Really nice short clip! Can you please give me some insights about the vintaudio YAMAHA C7 player position: playability, layering....thanks very much!

Sam
    Thanks, Sam.

I typically use the close mike sample of the Vinaudio Y C7 because it just seems to work better in the stuff I'm doing. But the player perspective is very satisfying to play. I don't know of other libraries that give you that perspective. In general, this library is one of the top piano libraries out there. Very realistic, and very playable. The Yamaha grand sound is everywhere...pop, country, even classical and jazz, and this library delivers the next best thing to the real instrument.

The Vin c7 and the Bards Bose are my two favorite samples...so mixing them together had to happen..

Go Back to forum