• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Audio over LAN

Share/Bookmark

Audio over LAN

I am looking for a way to transmit the audio generated by Gigastudio to a different computer via gigabit LAN. Bandwidth-wise, this could work, I guess. Can anyone please point me to a software solution that supports this (like MidiOverLAN)?
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Audio over LAN

The only option I know about is FX Teleport or Giga Teleport from FX-MAX. (www.fx-max.com). It works. It's best if you have a Gigabit mbps lan rather than a 10/100 mbps lan.

--James C. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by James C. Franklin
    The only option I know about is FX Teleport or Giga Teleport from FX-MAX. (www.fx-max.com). It works. It's best if you have a Gigabit mbps lan rather than a 10/100 mbps lan.

--James C. Franklin
    Hey James,

I am going to make this jump soon. I have a 4 port (with a wireless extra port) Dlink now 10/100. Is there a similar gigabit router with a wireless port as well. Or can you recommend an 8 port version?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

One simple solution is get another gigabyle nic adapter (about $29.00 US) for one computer -- then configure a private ethernet with fixed ip addresses just for your audio. Use the other nic in one computer for other networking purposes. Does not allow expanson, of course, but is much cheaper and error free if your goal is just to connect the two computers.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    One simple solution is get another gigabyle nic adapter (about $29.00 US) for one computer -- then configure a private ethernet with fixed ip addresses just for your audio. Use the other nic in one computer for other networking purposes. Does not allow expanson, of course, but is much cheaper and error free if your goal is just to connect the two computers.

Good idea. I have 2 giga puters connected now MOL and lightpipe to a DAW (running SX). I would like to have the 'forth' internet computer accessible though to send files to it so I can upload music on ftp sites. Any suggestions given this scenario? Thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

> Is there a similar gigabit router with a wireless port as well

As far as I know, there are no gigabit routers (at least in an afordable price range). No hubs for that matter. Only switches.

You'll want to chain your Dlink off the gigabit switch, and keep all you 10/100 devices plugged into that.

James, thank you very much for your hint. This is exactly what I was looking for.

There is one other company that I know of that has a cross platform (OSX & Windows) Audio Over Lan solution:

http://www.apulsoft.ch/wormhole/index.php

Good luck

Thanks for the link tbwnm. I didn’t know that soft.

I’m trying to test it, but reading the Pdf doc, I don’t get it... We need a sound card on each machine, it’s OK, but it seems we also need a VST host on each machine... No ?

I guess it won’t work with GS...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Hey James,

I am going to make this jump soon. I have a 4 port (with a wireless extra port) Dlink now 10/100. Is there a similar gigabit router with a wireless port as well. Or can you recommend an 8 port version?

Rob
    As Bill said, I don't think there is a gigabit router with a wireless port that's reasonably prices, i.e. less than a 100 bucks. But there are switches -- DLink, Linksys and I think NetGear make gigabit switches with 4 or 5 ports. I am considering setting up a subnet for my music pc's with a switch being the connection to the rest of the Lan. The other option is the adaptor to adaptor idea someone else suggested. With just two machines that would be the cheapest.

--James

Go Back to forum