• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan personal big band?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan personal big band?

Hi Garry,
    I've red on several forums that you'll create a big band library like GPO for orchestral sounds. Is it true, and if it is, when will it be avalaible?
    I have to write some music for a big band, and I'm looking for sounds (espacially saxophones...
    Thanks for giving some news.
    regards
    Laurent
    On mac G 5 2x2,5 Ghz, 2,5 Go RAM

Re: Garritan personal big band?

Laurent,

Here is what Gary had to say a week or so ago, about the Big-Band GPO addition, coming to a computer near you someday:

"My Berklee press release you are referring stated:

"Garritan's efforts continue as he prepares further offerings for Berklee students by way of a "Jazz Set," a "Choir Set," and others, yet to be announced."

The Berklee press release was specifically pertaining to Berklee faculty and students and we have made no official announcements to the general public. We have been preparing offerings in consultation with Berklee on various projects and these will be made available to them first. So, you'll have to enroll in Berklee for one of the first copies:

Perhaps you may have detected our insidious plot to hoist vaporware on the unsuspecting public. Seriosuly, it is best not to announce dates for business reasons and also because Murphy's law is always operational with software. I would rather you regard the jazz set as "vaporware" and be pleasantly surprised when it is released.

Gary Garritan"

Hope this helps,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Laurent,

Here is what Gary had to say a week or so ago, about the Big-Band GPO addition, coming to a computer near you someday:

"My Berklee press release you are referring stated:

"Garritan's efforts continue as he prepares further offerings for Berklee students by way of a "Jazz Set," a "Choir Set," and others, yet to be announced."

The Berklee press release was specifically pertaining to Berklee faculty and students and we have made no official announcements to the general public. We have been preparing offerings in consultation with Berklee on various projects and these will be made available to them first. So, you'll have to enroll in Berklee for one of the first copies:

Perhaps you may have detected our insidious plot to hoist vaporware on the unsuspecting public. Seriosuly, it is best not to announce dates for business reasons and also because Murphy's law is always operational with software. I would rather you regard the jazz set as "vaporware" and be pleasantly surprised when it is released.

Gary Garritan"

Hope this helps,

Karl
    Thanks Karl, so when is it coming out?

Frank

PS I hope the election went your way!

My initial thoughts about a $399 price tag for the upcoming Big Band set may not be all that far fetched. Look at GOS, that goes for $999. Personal Orchestra goes for $279.

Creating a Jazz instrument set is a bit harder than doing an orchestral instrument set. For starters there's quite a few more articulations, such as different attacks, releases, and God only knows what else. Also, they'll probably be including brass sections too, and complete brass sections as well, like you hear in some big band music.

Consider, entire brass band section - all brass instruments playing in unison, trumpet section, trombone section, tuba section, french/english horn section, saxophone section, you name it.

You'd better believe this is going to be a serious undertaking. I can almost assure you guys this thing is going to be more expensive than GPO.

Big Band is to brass what GOS is to strings. There's no question - it's going to be expensive, but fortunately maybe GPO users will get it for a reduced price, maybe $199 ;-) I hope so anyway. But $399 for non-GPO users would not be far off, not at all. God only knows it might even be more than *twice* that price. You will never know until it's released, but I can take a wild guess.

Cheers,
    Ben

OK Guys,

I have it on good authority that the GPO Jazz Band will be released in about 10 years at a price of somewhere around two thousand dollars. It will consist of a few drunken sax players, some weed-whacked brass and a rhythm section that has been on a bus for 48 hours with no sleep.

Now if you really think hard and believe that, anything that comes faster, is cheaper and better will delight your sox off.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by benjamind
    My initial thoughts about a $399 price tag for the upcoming Big Band set may not be all that far fetched. Look at GOS, that goes for $999. Personal Orchestra goes for $279.

Creating a Jazz instrument set is a bit harder than doing an orchestral instrument set. For starters there's quite a few more articulations, such as different attacks, releases, and God only knows what else. Also, they'll probably be including brass sections too, and complete brass sections as well, like you hear in some big band music.

Consider, entire brass band section - all brass instruments playing in unison, trumpet section, trombone section, tuba section, french/english horn section, saxophone section, you name it.

You'd better believe this is going to be a serious undertaking. I can almost assure you guys this thing is going to be more expensive than GPO.

Big Band is to brass what GOS is to strings. There's no question - it's going to be expensive, but fortunately maybe GPO users will get it for a reduced price, maybe $199 ;-) I hope so anyway. But $399 for non-GPO users would not be far off, not at all. God only knows it might even be more than *twice* that price. You will never know until it's released, but I can take a wild guess.

Cheers,
    Ben
    That may all be true, but Mr. Garritan used to refer to the Big Band package as an "add-on" to GPO. That certainly didn't give me the impression it would be more expensive.

I didn't know Garritan had his own "personal" big band! Did Duck Swellington have a harp player?

Next - GPRB
    Styxx

Go Back to forum