• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX (SAGE) and Intakt difference?

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX (SAGE) and Intakt difference?

I dont have StylusRMX but have Stormdrums. What is the difference between the two? Why do people want to convert intakt libraries to SAGE?

Re: Stylus RMX (SAGE) and Intakt difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Neole
    I dont have StylusRMX but have Stormdrums. What is the difference between the two? Why do people want to convert intakt libraries to SAGE?
    I'm not sure of all the differences, but I think the Spectrasonics thing has some more powerful features, like semi-random effects on the slices (velocity, timing, fills or mixing up of the slices) and it comes with an effects section (you know - reverb, compression, etc). Not sure about Intakt (even though I too have StormDrum), but Kontakt has effects so I'm not sure if that is a difference.

There is a demo video for StylusRMX at the Spectrasonics site -> http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx.html

There are a lot of differences......check out all the links on this page and you'll see why:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx.html

SAGE is:

Multitimbral
    Has an extremely powerful Editing and FX system where you can have individual racks of FX and unique parameters for every beat.
    Has full beat and tempo sync when auditioning with the host
    Doesn't use time stretching, so the sound quality at different tempos is always the best quality...you can check it here against many other systems
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...parison-tests/
    Chaos Designer feature allows audio loops to improvise in many interesting ways
    Very Easy to use interface with a special Browser page for managing all you grooves
    The only system that can use Groove Control libraries
    Built-in mixing system
    and much more....

Intakt has some unique features to RMX also:
    Beat slicing, which lets you slice up grooves inside the plug-in (RMX requires using ReCycle)
    Time Stretching which lets you easily drop in wav/aiff files for tempo changing. (RMX requires more work to make a REX file with ReCycle)

spectrum ...a biased source ;-)

I should also point out that there is no easy way to convert Intakt libraries to SAGE and there never will be....it's not just the difference of a data format.

SAGE uses Groove Control™, and these Groove Control libraries take years to create...which is why the result sounds so good. It's a painstaking process that we do to achieve these types of results that have no artifacts.

spectrum

Everything that Eric said is true. However Stormdrum is very live, with lot's of groove imperfections and ambience. These type of loops cannot usually be sliced and dissected. So Intakt is great for this because of the time stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    The only system that can use Groove Control libraries
    Really? That wasn't my understanding.

Also, I thought Groove Control (not SAGE necessarily) was very similar to what Intakt does (Kontakt too). You have a loop, it gets sliced, and MIDI files are generated to trigger slices at the exact point that the slices occur. Time stretching can be used if necessary (beat slower/faster than original). I do realize that Groove Control came first.

fizbin

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    Really? That wasn't my understanding.

Also, I thought Groove Control (not SAGE necessarily) was very similar to what Intakt does (Kontakt too). You have a loop, it gets sliced, and MIDI files are generated to trigger slices at the exact point that the slices occur. Time stretching can be used if necessary (beat slower/faster than original). I do realize that Groove Control came first.

fizbin
    Yes, Intakt does the same type of slicing as Groove Control. Basically, but there are some differences. Stormdrum doesn't take advantage of the slicing in Intakt. Other libraries do. Groove Control is Eric's refined version of a concept that has been around since atleast "Dance Industrial 1." Who did invent slicing???

Eric,

so SAGE is not an open system? I agree that the Groove Control libraries are top-notch, and there is no shortage of material for Stylus RMX; but if possible why not enable SAGE conversion for any material -wouldn't that simply enhance the value of your product?

And it sounds a whole lot funkier to me than "Apple Loops" :-)

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Eric,

so SAGE is not an open system? I agree that the Groove Control libraries are top-notch, and there is no shortage of material for Stylus RMX; but if possible why not enable SAGE conversion for any material -wouldn't that simply enhance the value of your product?

And it sounds a whole lot funkier to me than "Apple Loops" :-)

Nigel
    SAGE is open. You can import your own via loops via ReCycle and REX files. Depending on your ability and the material in question you are importing, you can get good results...but you are limited by the quality of what ReCycle can do....which is certainly very good and fine in many cases if you know what you're doing.

It's Groove Control that isn't an open system. It's sort of like asking why doesn't every restaurant have a goumet chef....Groove Control is more like a highly skilled recipe of creating libraries with some "secret sauces" that we've developed over many years, than any one particular technology.,,,there's nothing automatic about it and it takes a great deal of time to learn how to do...there are only a handful of people that are trained to do it, and we oversee that process and training.

"Groove Control™" is a seal of approval that a particular library has been developed, sliced and created to a particular standard....so that you always get consistent results. With a Groove Control activated product, you will get the same results and a consistent result every time. A REX library does not have that guarantee, and the results can vary dramatically in quality.

There's a lot of tricks we do to create our Groove Control material that let's them be far more flexible over a wide range of tempos and feels. SAGE allows us to take that much further too.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    Yes, Intakt does the same type of slicing as Groove Control. Basically, but there are some differences.
    Same basic idea, but a totally different result, because Intakt only does basic "rough" slicing without really dealing with the ambience between the slices. When you slow down the result, rough slicing gets very "gappy" on ambient material and has a lot of trouble dealing with low-end material too.

Scroll down on this link for an A/B "torture test" comparison of Intakt Slicing vs Groove Control/SAGE on this page as the first test...the second test shows the difference with using Intakt's time stretching mode vs Groove Control/SAGE:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...parison-tests/

spectrum

Go Back to forum