• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Duck's Demise

Share/Bookmark

The Duck's Demise

Here is a short exert from Peter and the Wolf. Peter is about a 30-minute work by Serge Prokofieff. It was written as a children’s story, but the music though charming is quite brilliant. Each character in the piece is represented by a different orchestral instrument: Peter by the strings, his friend the bird by the flute, his Grandfather by the bassoon, a cat by the clarinet, the duck by the oboe, the hunters rifle shots by the timpani, and of course, that infamous wolf by the French horns.

As said by so many, this is a work in progress. There are a few mix details that I haven’t dealt with, i.e. the reverb is for now first-come, first-serve, and there are a few balance and other details to work out when we add the narration and do the final mix.

In this scene, the wolf arrives to find the bird in the tree, the cat thinking about how he might get to the bird to eat hem, and the duck in the pond. There will be narration between some of these parts, but here is what happens without the narration.

1. The wolf arrives.
    2. The cat gets scared and leaps up the tree.
    3. The duck gets scared and confused and jumps out of the pond (remember it’s a children's story and one must suspend his/her disbelief).
    4. The duck frantically tries to get away, but the wolf catches up to her. She shrieks, and with one gulp, the wolf swallows her.
    5. There is much sadness for the loss of their friend the duck.

The little cello harmonics (perhaps the duck crying inside the wolf) are from GOS and the little violin and viola slides near the end are also from GOS.

Thanks again Gary, Tom, Jeff, Marianne (who is, I’m sure, the rock that must sometime hold up Gary) and everyone else who had anything to do with this marvelous effort called GPO.

Duck all gone!

Hope you enjoy this little snippet.

More to come,

Karl

Thumbs up Re: The Duck's Demise

This is cool! Great dynamics!
    This is a nice testament to the sounds of Garritan.
    Styxx

Re: The Duck's Demise

boy does that bring back some memories....

Sounds great. I'm sure the finished version will be fantastic. Prokofiev (Prokofieff?) is one of my all time favorite composers.
    Trent P. McDonald

The last time I heard that was when I was a little kid sitting on the floor in my room with my record player. WOW

Thanks to all who listened so far.

Yes, Trent, the spelling is funny. I have always spelled his name Prokofiev, but on the score of Peter and the Wolf that I have it is spelled Prokofieff, so when referring to this piece I chose to use that spelling. But I suspect either is correct. Maybe someone who is Russian can enlighten us.

Thanks again for listening,

Karl

I wasn't questioning your spelling, just wondering which was correct. Or are both? I know some of the Russians Anglicized their names when they came to the west but, if I remember correctly, Prokofiev moved back after a few years in the west. I recently saw The Rite of Spring and the program had Stravinsky’s name spell three different ways (or was it four) as he changed it depending on were he lived.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I wasn't questioning your spelling, just wondering which was correct.
    I didn't think you were any more than I was. I was a little taken back by it myself. It took me more than 50 years to learn how to spell Tchaikovsky, and I think maybe I'll check to see if I spelled it right this time.

Karl

This is excellent Karl. Do you use notation or sequencer? What a great showcase piece for GPO. Also one of the most realistic sounding demos I've heard. I dont have to imagine an orchestra, it just really sounds like one. Please elaborate a bit on how you modulate volume. Is it just the mod wheel or also the output channels of a sequencer? Just wondering. Thanks,

Eric

Wow Karl! Great work. Very realistic and good interpretation. Thank you for sharing this with us. It sound slike you put a huge amount of effort into this. looking forward to hearing the rest.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast