• Register
  • Help

Topic: Conflicts with GS and Sonar 1.3, Sound Forge on Win2K

Share/Bookmark

Conflicts with GS and Sonar 1.3, Sound Forge on Win2K

Greetings,

I am having a problem running GigaStudio and Sound Forge or Cakewalk Sonar simultaneously.

CPU: AMD Athlon 900
    Mem: 256 MB
    Sound Card: Echo Layla24
    GigaStudio: 160 ver 2.50.48
    Sequencer: Sonar ver 1.0 or 1.3
    Editor: Sound Forge 5.0

The symptoms of the conflict:
    SONAR:
    Since installing GigaStudio160, I cannot get Sonar to run audio (the midi portion of Sonar works fine.) One of two things will happen -- either the Sonar file will seem to play but no audio will come through the card or I get the following error message:

+------------------------------------------+
    | Audio Driver Error
    |
    | The following driver(s) either do not
    | support the current audio format, or are
    | in use by another application.
    |
    | Press OK to disable them, or Cancel to
    | use them anyway.
    |
    | +--------------------------------+
    | + Layla24 1-2 Analog Out
    | +
    | +
    | +--------------------------------+
    +------------------------------------------+

I get this error whether or not GigaStudio is running.

I am currently having to use the headphone jack on the Layla24 in order to hear sound, so I MUST have access to the Layla24 1-2 Analog Out from Sonar. At this point I am not trying to use Sonar WITH GS, I am just trying to use Sonar on the same machine as GS. I am working on all-audio Sonar projects that were started before I got GS. Using Sonar WITH GS is a task I have not yet addressed.

SOUND FORGE:
    The following error from Sound Forge appears ONLY when GigaStudio is running.

+-----------------------------------------+
    | Sound Forge
    |
    | The \'Layla24 1-2 Analog Out\' playback
    | device does not support one or more of
    | the current format parameters (sample
    | rate, number of channels, or bits per
    | sample). The following driver(s) either
    | do not support the current audio format,
    | or are in use by another application.
    |
    +-----------------------------------------+

I get this error even if I have Layla24 1-2 disabled in GS\'s Hardware/routing tab under settings. The only way to fix the problem is to use different outs for Sound Forge, but this is problematic because I need to use the headphone jack on the Layla24 in order to hear sound, so I need to have access to the Layla24 1-2 Analog Out from Sound Forge.

After some searching I tracked the problem down to the file \"c:/WINNT/System32/msg32.exe\" -- the Conexant WaveStream Message Server. It runs automatically when Windows boots. If I use Taskman.exe to kill the process, then Sonar works just fine. (GigaStudio, however, does not load.) If I use the RUN command to start msg32.exe again, then Sonar again ceases to run audio.

I find it very hard to believe that I am the first and only person to experience this problem, but I have found no reference to this problem anywhere. Indeed, I have read many citations discussing running GigaStudio concurrently with both Sound Forge and Sonar.

In summary: I cannot run GigaStudio with Sound Forge or Sonar. In order to hear audio data in Sonar, I need to kill the processes msg32.exe. I cannot use Sound Forge to edit wavs while running GigaStudio.

I would greatly appreciate any insight you can give me.

Ted

Re: Conflicts with GS and Sonar 1.3, Sound Forge on Win2K

Hello Ted,

You need to assign different output channel pairs for the different apps that will be accessing the Layla24. Then configure the Echo mixer control panel to route the signals to the output pair you wish to monitor.

For example:

Layla24 1/2 - Sonar
    Layla24 3/4 - Sound Forge
    Layla24 5/6 - GigaStudio

Each of these output levels can be adjusted or just set at unity gain.

You can then assign each of these to a single pair of analog or digital outputs to monitor. The overall output level from the mixer can then be adjusted as well.

Kevin

Re: Conflicts with GS and Sonar 1.3, Sound Forge on Win2K

Hi Ted,

I use Sonar & GS together.

In GS hardware tab, I set GS for 3&4.

Then in Sonar I enable the applicable drivers. In my case (not yours) I have to use the spdif for 3&4 which GS uses, so I must be sure the spdif drivers are selected and being used.

Peace ... Charlie

Go Back to forum