• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is the Bush administration letting the old Soviet system rebuild?

Share/Bookmark

Is the Bush administration letting the old Soviet system rebuild?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Is it just my imagination, or is the Bush administration letting the old Soviet system regroup?

This could be one of the worst results of the Iraq conflict: given the opportunity to work with Russia, has the US taken its eye off the ball, and in fact encouraged Russia to move back to the Soviet era by refusing to sign new arms deals? I'm not sure it's been an entirely intentional push on Putin's part--he's been under great pressure from Chechnia--but he's ex-KGB and he clearly doesn't like political opponents.

After the US bombs Iran (next week or after Christmas?), and a new dictator is established in Iraq, do we then face another cold war with the USSR?

(While Iran rebuilds its nuclear capacity and funnels increasing funds to terrorism in revenge?)

Re: Is the Bush administration letting the old Soviet system rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    After the US bombs Iran (next week or after Christmas?), and a new dictator is established in Iraq, do we then face another cold war with the USSR?
    Something along these lines is very possible. In fact, if you read New Lies for Old and Perestroika Deception written by Anatoliy Golitsyn, an ex-KGB defector, he predicted even before the Berlin Wall came down that the "collapse" of the Soviet Union would take place and that it was a ruse (and made many other startlingly accurate predictions). This was based on his "inside info". Things seem to be going according to plan.

Oh, and the neo-Bolshevism is gaining ground there as well. In addition to some of the "old guard" who want a return to the "glory days" of the USSR, neo-Bolshevism is catching on big with the kiddies who aren't old enough to know better. I've seen pictures of them marching en masse wearing arm bands and waiving flags that look IDENTICAL to the flag (the red one with the white circle) except that the black swastika in the middle has been replaced with a black hammer and sickle.

IMHO, i'm not sure it's such a bad thing that we have an "arch enemy" of comparable power. there is all this talk about how great it is that Reagan drove the soviets out of business, but i wonder if this imbalance of power has led us into the current pickle we're in now. kind of like the "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" theory. by exerting so much pressure on each other, it created a sense of balance.

sure it was scary thinking they had all those nukes pointed at us, but to me it's a lot more scary that their facilities are unsecured and accessible to the suicidal nut jobs that are running around now. at least the old soviet leadership seemed to know that if they blew us away, they had about 30 minutes to live.

i'm not saying we should bring back the USSR, just that i question how history will judge Reagan's policies in the long run. what seems like a good thing in the short run, may not play out that way in the long run.

plus, i wanted to see what my new avatar looks like.

/j
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

And beyond the idea of the balance of power, detroying the Soviet Union by supplying Bin Laden\Afghanistan with money and weapons and training had the more direct effect of supplying terrorism with funding. And once the Soviets were out of Afghanistan, the fundamentalists were free to turn their atterntion to the other superpower they hated.

The old technique of making friends with just about anyone who was our enemy's enemy seems to have had an unexepected result once the US left Afghanistan to its own resources and the Taliban.

While I agree that the US, has not only made blunders, but possibly has intentionally supported agents provocateur against the American people, I'm not sure just how sound the argument is that we created bin Laden simply by supporting the Mujahideen who were defending themselves against the Soviet invasion. It probably didn't help, but then again, would it have helped had the Soviets captured Afghanistan? Consider the fact that the KGB practically invented modern Islamic terrorism (all the Islamic terror sponsor states were Soviet satellites, heavily supplied and trained by the KGB). Would Afghanistan have turned out much different? I doubt it. It probably would have been worse.

But as I said, that doesn't mean the US hasn't done its share of supporting the enemy. I remember reading of one case during the Clinton administration where affiliates of Ramsy Yousef were inexplicably trained by US Special Forces HERE IN THE US! And this was AFTER federal authorities knew these guys were up to no good. In fact, IIRC from what I read, I believe INS had been notified that they were known terrorists and were to be stopped or deported. And yet the Clinton administration had Special Forces training these guys!

Now that's either intentional, or our government is exceedingly stupid. I'm not sure ANYBODY can be quite THAT stupid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-!!!!!!!

Signed,

Flipper

[series of hypersonic squeals] -

translated: Ern, i didn't know you spoke dolphin! and i see you've been partying with flipper. i hear he's got quite a clique going. . .
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Go Back to forum