• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: It's hard for me to say, but I'm going to be honest...

Share/Bookmark

It's hard for me to say, but I'm going to be honest...

I'm going to be honest here, and this is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to say. To be honest, I don't think that the demos that I've been hearing as of late sound all that good, and it's mainly because of the strings. The strings just seem to sound faker and faker with these demos. I don't know if it's just me or not but I have yet to find a demo recently (I haven't heard ALL of them, of course) that had a decent sounding strings section. They sound like they were carelessly recorded instead of there being effort there to make them sound realistic. They just sound like "blah blah blah blah" and no kind of working of the mod wheel or articulations. Most of the tracks lack reverb too. Just my opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion.

Re: It's hard for me to say, but I'm going to be honest...

Thanks for your honesty! I agree. However, strings are the hardest thing to sample, so I'm sure they'll never sound completely realistic with GPO . . .

I must admit myself, I haven't done much with string dynamics . . . I don't have mod wheel, I've only got Overture graphics editor Then again, sometimes my strings sound unrealisting just because of my inexperience. There's some more honesty . . .

However, regardless of some of these piece's realisticity, I have still come across many impressive works!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Aint that the truth for us all? Sean, i know that you like my work, but im TOTALLY Inexperienced, only doing this stuff for about 6 months.. so im a total n00b!

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Also, I think after working with GPO for a while, and listening to a bunch of demos, you start to recognize the way GPO strings sound. In real recordings, strings will always sound different depending on the acoustics of the room, the techniques of the players, etc . . . and they will never sound exactly the same, like the GPO strings usually do.

FireGS: I can't wait to listen to your more experienced works, then!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I, myself don't spend too much time worrying about all of the technical stuff because my sythesized recordings are just to give me a ball park idea of the way the piece will sound with an orchestra. Actually Finale playback handles the whole thing. I really would rather compose than worry about a lot of the MIDI stuff. i could do it if I have to , though!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Well, I wouldn't say it's completely the fault of the people playing the music. I would say that it also has something to do with the new string samples (I've talked about this before). They just do not sound as realistic as they used to sound, and I know what a strings section sounds like (I play in an orchestra), and the old sus+short strings sound better and more realistic by far. It's just that with the old strings samples people were having trouble with notation programs but now with the new ones people are having trouble in sequencing. This is clearly showing up in the demos, because the old demos sound better and more realistic than the new ones since the update. And I'm not the only one that thinks so either. Luckily, Tom brought back the old violin sus+short samples so that'll help a little. But all the other sus+short sampes were changed too.

Craig, you might have something there but we were assured the samples remained the same it was just the articulations and control of them that changed. A good experiment would be to reinstall the old ones in another PC and then play both samples back-to-back and together. Yes, no?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves
    Well, I wouldn't say it's completely the fault of the people playing the music. I would say that it also has something to do with the new string samples (I've talked about this before). They just do not sound as realistic as they used to sound, and I know what a strings section sounds like (I play in an orchestra), and the old sus+short strings sound better and more realistic by far. It's just that with the old strings samples people were having trouble with notation programs but now with the new ones people are having trouble in sequencing. This is clearly showing up in the demos, because the old demos sound better and more realistic than the new ones since the update. And I'm not the only one that thinks so either. Luckily, Tom brought back the old violin sus+short samples so that'll help a little. But all the other sus+short sampes were changed too.
    I'm sorry to hear this. It's always frustrating if software appears to take any kind of step backwards. I can't say that there has been many demos of any sort recently which compare with those of the first 6 months. Certainly the strings on these were always stunning especially when used by those with knowledge, sensitivity and time.

Perhaps the good guys have had their heads down with the Live orchestra competition, or folk have moved on, lost interest.....who knows?

It certainly aint the same and you're brave to have posted this.

Frank

Although I have not taken the time to do an A/B comparison, I find that the old version and the new version strings sound equally good. It would be hard to do an A/B because with any sound, the editing of velocity, overlapping of notes, (in sequencer) and mod wheel playing would ALL have to be re-applied, to be fair.

DPDan

Well the new strings were introduced for more than just notation users. Everyone wanted sharper attacks and a more 'hollywood' sound and I think this was delivered per user request. I haven't found that they lack any of the expressiveness found in the old samples, they're a bit snappier though. I actually thing the new samples sound fuller than the old ones, IMO.

However, it is easy enough to remedy this if you wish to hold onto the old samples. All the old samples are in your backup folder (if you chose to keep a backup.) Just just rename the patches you want to keep and put them where all the other samples are, and in their respective instrument group.

As far as the current crop of demos goes, I'm not sure I'm hearing it, but everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Go Back to forum