• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Intel P4 3.2Ghz Socket 478 Northwood or Prescott?

Share/Bookmark

Intel P4 3.2Ghz Socket 478 Northwood or Prescott?

Would appreciate any feedback on which processor gives the best performance in Giga 3. The prices for the Pentium 4 "3.2C" Northwood and the "3.2E" Prescott are comparable (Northwood is a few $$ more). I originally wanted to go with a 3.4 Ghz processor but these are now impossible to find in Northwood and the Prescott's all seem to be on backorder (no problem with supply on the 3.4 Ghz LGA 775 just the Socket 478). Which one would you go with? I'm using the Intel 875P D875PBLK MB which I believe can take either (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers

Re: Intel P4 3.2Ghz Socket 478 Northwood or Prescott?

I had to choose a P4 a week ago and I fell for the 3.2 Northwood core.

After reading articles on toms hardware and on other websites, it seems the Prescott doesn't offer much compared to Northwood. One of the main drawback is that the prescott internal cache is half the speed of the Northwood and slows operations a bit.

Northwood is still a good CPU for the bucks. Add some fast DDR (I choose Corsair Twinx 2-2-2-5) and you'll get some results ...

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...escott-29.html

I had some stuttering problems with Black Grand (full convolution) & p4-533 2.5, that now have disapeared. However GigaPulse is very CPU intensive and I still have some stutters with Vintaudio C7 (full convolution).

If you can buy a 3.6+ cpu, you might consider it ...

Hope this helps!
    Jean-Guy

Yes, the Prescott offers little advantage over the Northwood. It is actually slightly slower at the same clock speed in most operations (though faster in a few), and produces way more heat. It was basically a redesign in order to hit higher clockspeeds which didn't pan out. The chip makers have hit a wall with the new 90 nanometer process, where the heat from current leakage becomes excessive at that small scale when you ramp clockspeed too high.
    Prescott is (so far) a failed design. Intel would have been better of sticking with a slightly upgraded Northwood core.

cjsm

Buy Northwood. The Prescott has a considerably higher power consumption - and thus gets a lot hotter.

/Bjarne

Just ordered a 3.2 Northwood after comparing my existing year-old 2.8 Northwood and a newer 3.0E prescott -- the 2.8 is cooler and a little faster than the 3.0E. They are on similar (but not exactly the same) motherboards: 2.8 on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe and the 3.0E on an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. So for computer #3 I'm using ASUS P4P800SE (simpler motherboard, cheaper) and moving the 3.0E to it with slower memory, then putting the new 3.2 with fast memory into the P4C800-E Deluxe. Trying not to count the cost of my lost time with all this ...

Thanks for all the feedback. The consensus is clearly on the Northwood. Does anyone know of a dealer in the US that has stock on a Northwood P3.4? So far I have only found one dealer that even lists them (ZipZoomFly for $350) but they are on back order. Otherwise it's going to have to be a 3.2C from Newegg @$249.

Thanks

From what I've read, the Prescott's advantages over the Northwood start to come out when overclocking to 3.6 or so and beyond, but are negligible or nonexistent at slower clock speeds. I'm no expert though. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the recommendation on the MB. I agonized over going with Socket 478/Northwood vs the LGA 775/Prescott for several days before finally deciding on staying with the Socket 478/Northwood combo. At then end of it I could not find any good reason to go with the LGA 775 at this stage for Giga 3 (other than it's easier to find those nice hot Intel 3.4 Prescott's). From a performance standpoint I believe the older 478/Northwood model still has the edge. The signs at Intel also don't seem point to the LGA 775/Prescott's model offering much more in the way of future upgrade compatibility as I think it's all going to change again next year anyway....

As you may have already done, newegg is a great place. But try checking www.pricewatch.com, It lists a lot of different companies, some good, some bad.

Lee,

Any particular MOBO that you would recommend that has that?
    Do you favor any brand, Intel, ASUS et al.?

Building a new system right now as well.

John Z.

Go Back to forum