• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio and Service Pack 3

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio and Service Pack 3

Just got a spanking new Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz, 1 GB of RAM but GigaStudio won\'t work on it.
    My OS is Win 2000 Service Pack 3.

The program launches but will not make any sound. When I try to play on the keyboard window with the mouse nothing happens.

I got SF 6.0, ACID 4.0, Reason 2.0 on the same machine all working no problem, both audio and MIDI.

I\'m thinking the problem may be the Service Pack 3.
    Anybody running it successfully on SP3?

any tips would be greatly appreciated,

tia

Re: GigaStudio and Service Pack 3

\"I\'m thinking the problem may be the Service Pack 3\"

I\'d say that\'s very unlikely. What sound card? Are you a new user, or did you have Giga running with your previous rig?

I\'d say that\'s very unlikely. What sound card? Are you a new user, or did you have Giga running with your previous rig?[/QB][/QUOTE]

I use the MIA card. I\'ve been using GigaStudio for a couple years now. I had it running fine on an other system but I was running out of memory. My motherboard allowing only up to 512MB of RAM.

When I do orchestral music I used up the 512 MB pretty quickly on just 2 ports. I guess I could do like Hans Zimmer and use 12 PCs !

Don\'t know if this will help, but I had a similar problem. All I had to do was enable the soundcard\'s GSIF driver. With the Waveterminal 2496 you have to right click in the control box for the sound card and that brought up a dialog that allowed me to enable Gigastudio. Talk about unintuitive, ARGH! I\'d call your sound card manufacturer if you haven\'t figured it out yet.

Steve Chandler

Ichief:

Let me know if you haven\'t solved this yet. I had the same problem with W2K and SP3 and it wasn\'t audio related.

Are you getting the green midi indicator in GS?

dig.

One word: forget SP3 and go back to SP2.
    SP3 for win2k brings more problems than it solves some. For my internet computer, I needed to format the OS hard drive because of strange behaviors after SP3 update. System became slower and more unstable, some programs did not work after the coming of SP3.
    Beleive me, win2k + SP2 is THE most stable and good working microsoft OS, either for audio or not.
    Reagrds,
    jam

IronChef,

If the virtual keyboard keys don\'t change from white to blue when you click on them, and if the ports (buttons 1-4 under the little keyboard on the left) are grayed out, and if your sequencer doesn\'t see the \"Nemesys\" MIDI Outs, the following may help.

Find the place in the Registry where MIDI devices are listed by running Regedit and doing a search on \"gmidi.dll\". (I\'m away from my home computer now or I\'d tell you exactly where to find it.)

In that key, you should see listings for \"midi\'x\'\" (where x is blank or a number from one to 10), with values of \"\'y\'.dll\", where \'y\' is \"gmidi\" or another midi driver.

If you see \"gmidi.dll\" (Gstudio\'s driver) as the value for \"midi10\", and or if you see a bunch of empty listings for \"midi1\", \"midi2\", \"midi3\", on up to \"midi10\", that\'s probably your problem.

Just edit the entries so that \"gmidi.dll\" is associated with \"midi\", your next MIDI driver is associated with \"midi1\", and so on. Delete the entries where \"midi\'x\'\" isn\'t associated with anything.

Reboot.

I had to do this for a couple of installs. After that everything worked fine.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure you know what you\'re doing and that you\'ve saved a copy before you edit the registry!

Go Back to forum