• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO Gold versus GPO

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO Gold versus GPO

I own GPO and think that for the price it is a very good product and there are lots of demos on the Garritan site to prove the point.

There are not the same quantity or depth of demos to show me how Gold compares and persuade me that it is a product I should purchase despite the current competitive offer. I know that Gold has more samples and will be enhanced even further with Gold Pro but GPO is very flexible inspite of its small sample size.

What advantages would I gain by purchasing EWQLSO Gold? Does is sound superior or more realistic?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies

GaryT

Re: EWQLSO Gold versus GPO

There is no contest imo.

It's equivalent to asking 'VSL Complete, or QLSO Gold'

Different price point, different markets, different levels of realism.

What is your level of commitment? are you a hobbyist or ... ? what kind of music do you compose/play?

The Gold samples are recorded with hall ambience, which sounds great, but some people need drier samples to add a different ambience. Mixing (reverb, seating) is very easy. If finding the correct reverb is a problem for you right now, Gold will give it automatically and sound sublime (but not flexible).

The instruments are recorded in sections (6 french horns, for example) plus a solos (plus solo french horn). Again, some people need more solo instruments for more flexible arrangements. In addition, there are some missing solo instruments (most notably, the viola ( the viola will be added in the forthcoming Gold Upgrade)).

Gold has a lot more articulations (sample choices), so is more complicated to use than GPO. Some people do not have the time to master it. GPO is easier in this way.

The sound of Gold is aggressive and exciting, extremely well recorded. Volume swells, crescendos, etc., sound very realistic because of the quality of the recording/design and also because of the natural ambience.

Of course, some particular samples, instruments have minor problems, but doesn't every orchestra?

GPO will blend well by adding some GPO (especially the woodwinds and one can always add more strings for more realistic sound) - but using Gold as a base. Some reverb will be needed for the GPO sounds. However, if GPO is used as the base, then adding some Gold will be more difficult (because of the recorded ambience in Gold). Adding Gold brass to GPO will probably work.

And all for $398? Just shocked. It is a steal.

Good luck,
    YBaCuO

C'mon...no comparison possible. Gold costs only $398 because of the group buy but its a 1K library...so...no way

Luca

just to edit my above post, I'm not knocking GPO either, its an AWESOME deal and sound for what it is, but I think literally the first patch on Gold you'd play your jaw would hit the floor.

I ordered Silver first to try it out, and they included one gold strings patch in it, and as soon as I heard it , I immediately ordered gold

no comparison possible in my opinion.

gpo is a nice tool, i am still saying that, although i am banned on the gpo forum (i can't mention that enough) ...

but you definitely can't compare gold to gpo, no way

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    gpo is a nice tool, i am still saying that, although i am banned on the gpo forum (i can't mention that enough) ...
    hmmm...this reminds me something...dunno

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    no comparison possible in my opinion.

but you definitely can't compare gold to gpo, no way
    sounds juicy ... why are you banned ?

apples and oranges as others have said. At this price, I would just go for it. You'll probably not see it at this discount again.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryT
    I own GPO and think that for the price it is a very good product and there are lots of demos on the Garritan site to prove the point.

There are not the same quantity or depth of demos to show me how Gold compares and persuade me that it is a product I should purchase despite the current competitive offer. I know that Gold has more samples and will be enhanced even further with Gold Pro but GPO is very flexible inspite of its small sample size.

What advantages would I gain by purchasing EWQLSO Gold? Does is sound superior or more realistic?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies

GaryT

I think you've managed to avoid opening a can of worms. Or maybe not....

At the current group price buy rate you'd be absolutely nuts not to add Gold to your arsenal. Yes, GPO is an excellent sounding library with the BEST programming currently available and skilled orchestrators/musicians have made it sound, IMO, as good as some of the more expensive libraries. But Gold ALSO sounds excellent, has a LOT going for it and I see no reason why it has to be an either or proposition.

I have Opus 1 and GPO and the combination of the two is magnificent. I'm sure GPO/Gold would sound great together as well.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast