• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Human/Animal Hybrids

Human/Animal Hybrids

sponsored links

Re: Human/Animal Hybrids

I think its men meddling in things they aren't meant to wot of.

I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly. The built in Christian in me is strictly against the idea, but the scientist in me can't help but wonder.

I have to wonder what is so threatening about this? Why would this be abhorrent to anyone? I just don't understand what the issue is. There's nothing in the Bible about thou shalt not mix human and animal genes, despite the fact that shepherds of that time were known to try. So please enlighten me what's the big deal? I see scientific inquiry that could benefit us.

Steve Chandler

Think about all the people waiting for organ transplants, then answer.

I want a pet centaur

Don't quote me on this, but I would assume the biblical arguement against it reads like a Hollywood script in that man should not attempt God's work.

Scientifically, I wonder if we threaten to create new viral/bacteria diseases that have hitherto not threatened humanity by creating these hybrid creatures. Leave it up to use to get the worst of both species.

Also, I'm interested in how this would benefit organ donors. I always thought the sci fi scene with organs without bodies particularly horrific, but useful enough if you're looking for a liver. I don't know for certain that I would like a pig heart in me though. I also don't even want to fathom the idea of whole new humanoid species roaming the planet and then eventually uprooting humankind from its seat at the top. Don't knock it, I think every eventuality should be explored. Where is the line, and who draws it? If we suddenly manufacture new species that communicate intelligently with humanity, how will the activist feel about farming them for organs or for science. Eventually these animal/human hybrids would hold a permanent space in the world due to the fact that someone would say that since they are some human-like that it is cruel and unusual to use them as test subjects.

And while I'm there, that's probably another reason the bible belt would be against it from the start. This would throw an enormous wrench into the 'soul' theory (not my take, I believe in the existence of the human soul.)

An interesting subject, nonetheless.

In the words of Max Cavalera.... "Biotech is Godzilla".

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    I want a pet centaur
    It could keep you company with stimulating conversation, while at the same time providing decent transportation.
    Sam Hulick

Looks like Heinlein's neodogs (from Starship Troopers) are on their way!

Well, spend a winter here and see if you don't need some stem cell research for a new liver afterwards!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast