• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help..What Could Cause this crash?

Share/Bookmark

Help..What Could Cause this crash?

I'm on a P4 with 2Gs memory.

I use Giga 2.5

I have an shortcut to VSL's Performance Tool on my desktop.

Everyday, I start up the computer, wait a few minutes, then launch Perf Tool from this shortcut.

It has gotten to the point where it is about a 50/50 chance that the PC will crash and restart when I launch this. I've tried making a new shortcut, same thing. I feel like I'm defusing a bomb every time I try to launch this program.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I'm a Mac user and only use the PC for GIGA, so I'm not a good PC troubleshooter...yet.

Thanks
    Tom

Re: Help..What Could Cause this crash?

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    I'm on a P4 with 2Gs memory.

I use Giga 2.5

I have an shortcut to VSL's Performance Tool on my desktop.
    It's pretty vague, could you post your system specs, harware, soundcard, OS, software ... How long you've been running vsl ...

JGS

Quote Originally Posted by jgsirac
    It's pretty vague, could you post your system specs, harware, soundcard, OS, software ... How long you've been running vsl ...

JGS
    Sure, I'm running XP, soundcard is Frontier Wavecenter, and Giga 2.5. Been using VSL for about 6 months. I had the PC print out a system overview and I posted that up on my site which is :

homepage.mac.com/oceantracks

Called Tom's PC Info...

if anyone cares to check it out. I'm really at wit's end here, because I don't know where to begin. Any help really appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom

I've got the exact same problem, and I'm on a Carillon computer, optimized and set up specifically and only for Giga. My computer also has 2 gigs of RAM, and I'm running Giga 2.54. The only thing I've noticed, (and I haven't tested it thoroughly yet) is that it seems that if I launch Giga first, then close it and launch Performance Tool, it doesn't crash. (Then I have to load Giga a second time to begin using it.) It's a nutty routine, but I've been doing that for a couple of days with no crashes. Maybe Giga loads something that Performance Tool wants to see, and it's something that remains in RAM even after Giga is closed? (or maybe I've just been lucky for a few days, and my routine has nothing to do with it!) It's a mystery-

I am not used to Performance Tool, but if it is a specific issue maybe you should contact VSL support to let them know ...

However in those cases like yours, I'm always considering hardware issues too, so if you have spare time you should run a memory test (especially with 2GB) with this tool :
    http://www.memtest86.com/memt32.zip

You have to install it on a floppy disk and run it. Check for the "errors column". It should stay at zero.

Also update all drivers to current versions, particularly the video driver.

I saw in your report that you had also a crash with EWQLSO Gold ?

Finally you might try to reinstall XP & softwares after a disk formatting. It sometimes helps.

These are suggestions of course ...

JGS

This may not be your problem -- but you need to wait until "userinit.exe" finishes before starting gigastudio 2.5. Took 30-45 seconds or more on my computer with gs 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff
    I've got the exact same problem, and I'm on a Carillon computer, optimized and set up specifically and only for Giga. My computer also has 2 gigs of RAM, and I'm running Giga 2.54. The only thing I've noticed, (and I haven't tested it thoroughly yet) is that it seems that if I launch Giga first, then close it and launch Performance Tool, it doesn't crash. (Then I have to load Giga a second time to begin using it.) It's a nutty routine, but I've been doing that for a couple of days with no crashes. Maybe Giga loads something that Performance Tool wants to see, and it's something that remains in RAM even after Giga is closed? (or maybe I've just been lucky for a few days, and my routine has nothing to do with it!) It's a mystery-
    Wow Hoff, interesting, good to see I'm not the only one, and that something is really happening out there....I'll try what you suggest...

Thanks
    Tom

I think I had this issue too. But it was when I loaded a preset performance tool setup. I would watch my system resources, and bam as soon as I loaded performance tool set after giga, 100% CPU usage. Lasted that way until I killed the performace tool app.

The thing I thought it was an error with sharing some of the midi devices that where somehow qued for giga? (even though they listed "none") I know this does not make much sense, since there is no such thing as queing midi devices. But all I did was change my midi devices around in the performance tool, resaved the file, and it worked.

You may have a different problem, but I hope that helps.

Go Back to forum