• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mac users: Digital Performer or Logic?

Mac users: Digital Performer or Logic?

hey all, i'm thinking about getting a new sequencer since i'm not most efficient using Pro Tools. Which would you suggest? what are you guys using out there? I'm looking at Digital Performer or Logic Pro 7.

thanks in advance.

Re: Mac users: Digital Performer or Logic?

Actually, I use Cubase SX.

DP BABY!

Hi Phil,

Wow, I don't want to touch this one with a 10-foot pole, but I'll try it using a 20-footer. Most modern sequencing software does what needs to be done in order to bring out the best of GPO. We can get into some pretty heated sequencer wars over which is best. I think that it's mostly what you get used to that really drives peoples opinions.

Apple has thrown in a plethora of plugs that people seem to like. MOTU has its share of plugs that are good too. If you are going to be doing most of your work with the orchestral sounds of GPO, and are staying clear of the pop/rock/rap scene, most of these plugs will be useless to you. All you might need is a nice reverb, some good EQ and perhaps a little compression. They both offer these, or you can do what most of us do and go third party for such things.

There have been some problems with Logic and the Kontakt player playing nice with each other, but I think most of these have been worked out.

I have to say that I'm totally partial to DP, mostly since I've used it for many years. I think the interface is somewhat more elegant and intuitive. I have found that DP is a joy to use, and MOTU has always been great for including features their customers request.

The one thing that Logic seems to have going for it is better tech support. Usually MOTU has only one beleaguered guy on the phone that tries to help, but by the time you get through to him you’re pretty upset and …

I'm not sure about logic’s manuals, but MOTU's are wonderful, and if you are willing to do a little digging you can usually avoid having to use that redial to get through to tech support.

There are people on this forum that are experts at both, and I'm sure they can answer any questions you may have about either product.

Good luck with your decision,

p.s. I see that this is only your third post here. Welcome, and don't be shy about asking questions. It's a tough decision and we'd like to help in any way we can.

I have only been using DP for just over a year, and I have heard of the trouble that people have had in the past with tech support at MOTU. I have had absolutley amazing response time from them. I think they got tired of the bad reputation of poor phone service. It is great. I have had no problem talking to tech support, and email responses were sometimes only minutes later. Karl is right, all too often, one's opinion is based solely on the use of the product he/she is familiar with.

Cool Re: Mac users: Digital Performer or Logic?

I have both Logic and DP, and I've used GPO in both, and for me, it's Digital Performer by a long shot. It just seems really fluid for composing and arranging, where Logic just seems.......well.........not logical. Logic is great for a lot of things - but for work in GPO, I'd go with DP.

thanks for the feedback all. I've noticed DP seems to be more popular with those making orchestral type music, which I'm "trying" to do more of now that i have GPO. So now i'm leaning towards DP. However, i still plan to continue making electronic sounding music (gaming type music) so I think that's where Logic would come in handy. I guess the best way is to try and test these programs at the store and see what i find more comfortable and easy to use (I'd rather not talk to any support guys on the phone). I've heard that Logic wasn't as intuitive as other programs in the past, but maybe that changed with LP7.

Thanks again.

If you are accustomed to thinking in a linear style akin to traditional notation, then DP will probably be your cup of tea - but if you like composing music in a modular, object-oriented fashion, then Logic may be more comfortable. I think there are plenty of pros working with either program who completely defy my above generalizations, for example I think the guys in Crystal Method use DP to write dance/electronic music. With recent updates to both programs they are working great with all the latest virtual instruments and other tools of the trade, so you really can't go wrong. I have both apps but use DP almost exclusively - that's really just because I haven't committed the time to learning Logic as thoroughly as I know DP. I do think DP has a much prettier userr interface, but that may come at some cost in performance.

I started with DP, tried moving to Logic and found out that DP is just way better...at least for me. more intuitive. More eleagant. they're both great programs and there are advocates on both sides. DP is definitely very popular in film scoring circles. Also, its interesting to note that Berklee now requires all students to purchase a G4 laptop loaded up with DP.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

At least one thing should be fairly clear to you by now: Nobody's trying to talk you back into using Pro Tools.

Go Back to forum