• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar Studioware Panel for GPO

Share/Bookmark

Smile Sonar Studioware Panel for GPO

(edited:See Gary's mirrored link below)

I hope somebody finds this useful. I created a Sonar Studioware Panel to use with GPO. It's pretty self explanitory but here are some tips.

Start with a midi file on track 3. This seems to work best. (of coarse the track must be connected to GPO for you to notice anything)

The panel switches are on the top left. Some things, like the sliders, are recorded while playing back the track (Just make sure the record widget on the panel is pressed)

The autopedal button will place alternate pedal CCs at each note (Just select the track and press the button)

There are other buttons for humanize and clone. Just trying to put all the most used command in one place.

I did not write any of the CALs in the panel. Dan, here at the forum, helped me so much with the CAL programs.

I am currently working on a version that has keyswitching buttons (I slow the tempo way down and just press them during playback. It seems to work in Sonar 1 but not Sonar 3)

(ps I know it reads STRINGS in the Brass section. I have fixed it in the next version)

Good luck and happy holidays!
    John

Re: Sonar Studioware Panel for GPO

John,

Your panel is fantastic. Sonar users are going to love this. And it will save a lot of time.

Here is a screenshot of just one of the panels:

For those unfamiliar, "Cakewalk StudioWare is software interface panels for external MIDI devices such as samplers, keyboards, automatable mixers, and effects units. These interfaces allow you to manipulate the controls on any external MIDI device from graphical controls on your screen. The changes you make to these controls can even be recorded and automated as part of your project." http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/studioware.asp

This can be very useful and a time-saver for ensemble building. You can, say, record a violin line and use Sonar to clone it for example 6 times and then humanize each track by clicking the humanize button. The big pedal button also allows you to place pedal events with the mouse during playback (and the sliders move during playback).

I urge GPO Sonar users to try this an let us know what you think.

Thanks for doing this and sharing it with the rest of us. And thanks also to Dan for his help.

Gary Garritan

FYI it downloads as gpofinal12.TXT file (at least using my computer)
    Renamed it to gpofinal12.ZIP and unzipped it into the studioware directory within Sonar.

Looks great - will try it after the weekend (family visits etc)

A GREAT THANKS!!!!!!!!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes
    FYI it downloads as gpofinal12.TXT file (at least using my computer)
    Renamed it to gpofinal12.ZIP and unzipped it into the studioware directory within Sonar.

Looks great - will try it after the weekend (family visits etc)

A GREAT THANKS!!!!!!!!

Fred
    Thanks Fred for the advice. I've mirrored it on the GPO site. Here is the link:

http://www.garritan.com/support/gpoc...studioware.zip

Gary Garritan

Thank you! One thought...the text for the controls are small and hard to read. I tried to figure out how to edit the panel, but could not locate the "Design" button per the Cakewalk guide.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Thanks Fred for the advice. I've mirrored it on the GPO site. Here is the link:

http://www.garritan.com/support/gpofinal12.cakewalkstudioware.zip

Gary Garritan
    Whoops! The link takes me to Maria's home page every time.

Richard

Sorry. Been travelling allot and did not get a chance to read these.

I'm not sure how to change the type. I could put them right on the background bitmap but that would take some time. Let me look into it.

Thank you Gary for a much clearer explanation of Studioware panels.

When I right click on my original link or just left click I can download the file as a zip. Not sure why you are getting a txt file Fred.

I am also going to Maria's page with Gary's link Richard!

I look forward to comments.

Thank you,
    John

Apologies to Maria - typo corrected.

Sorry, still seem to be going to Maria's page.

Wes37, I needed to re-install Sonar 1 to edit the panel. They removed that option in Sonar 3 (maybe Sonar 2?).

I can't seem to change the text size. The problems with putting the text on the backhround bitmap are:
    A) Would take quite a bit if time.
    B) There is currently one bitmap for all 6 panels. There would now be 6 bitmaps. I'm not sure how that would effect performance and size of the file.
    C) Any future changes would be much more difficult since all 6 bitmaps would most likely need changing.

I would love to do this but I would like to wait until we are close to a final stage. As I said I'm trying to add keyswitching on playback.

**TIP: You can hold down the CTRL key and LEFT MOUSE click on sliders to group them. That way on playback you can record several sliders at the same time. You CTRL LEFT MOUSE click on a slider again to remove it from the group.

Thank you,
    John

**TIP: You can hold down the CTRL key and LEFT MOUSE click on sliders to group them. That way on playback you can record several sliders at the same time. You CTRL LEFT MOUSE click on a slider again to remove it from the group.

hey this thing is pretty cool needs a better gui (it's so large it get's lost behind windows in Sonar...but it's free and it works Congrats Man! I think this going to fix my not having a mod wheel or sustain pedal for GPO. those other plugins aren't smooth enough in performance. One thing though when I do the above it get's rid of everything then I need to click the window instrumnet again at the top to bring it back.

Thank you,
    John[/QUOTE]

Go Back to forum