• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "If I were president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United states"

Share/Bookmark

"If I were president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United states"

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    by William Blum

"If I were president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United states in a few days. Permanently. I would first apologize-very publicly and very sincerely-to all the widows and orphans, the impoverished ad tortured, and all the many millions of other victims of American imperialism. Then I would announce to every corner of the world that America's global military interventions have come to an end. I would then inform Israel that it is no longer the 51st state of the union but-oddly enough-a foreign country. Then I would reduce the military budget by at least 90% and use the savings to pay reparations to the victims and repair the damage from the many American bombings, invasions, and sanctions. There would be more than enough money. One year's military budget in the United States is equal to more than $20,000 per hour for every hour since Jesus Christ was born. That's one year. That's what I'd do on my first three days in the White House. On the fourth day, I'd be assassinated."

from an interview

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...=1&ItemID=6702

what is the likely hood of this ever happening, that is an apology from the U.S.A

Re: "If I were president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United states"

I want to believe that would be possible, but unfortunately that's not how it works.

As a matter of fact, the textbook for one of the political science classes I took in college started by saying how the world is divided into two kinds of people: those who believe all the world's problems could be solved immediately if everyone cooperated rationally, and those who believe it all has to do with power.

Then he spent the rest of the book explaining why he believes the second.

"Ideology in Modern Politics," by Morgenthau.

I'm not as conservative as he is, but I'm also not naive enough to believe it's that simple.

Re: "If I were president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United states"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    As a matter of fact, the textbook for one of the political science classes I took in college started by saying how the world is divided into two kinds of people: those who believe all the world's problems could be solved immediately if everyone cooperated rationally, and those who believe it all has to do with power.
    There are two kinds of people in this world - those that divide the world into two kinds of people and those that don't.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I would do it a bit differently (yeah, like that comes as any surprise ). I would tell the world that, in response to the complaints and requests, the US is PULLING OUT in a big way. So that nobody can ever again tell us that we’re meddling in their affairs, the following will be effective immediately:

We will:
    - Withdraw all foreign aid to all nations.
    - Leave the UN.
    - Withdraw all funding for international organizations (including the UN).
    - Discontinue our membership in all international organizations such as the WTO.
    - Bring ALL our military back home so we are no longer protecting OTHER people’s countries for them at our expense (South Korea, Germany, etc).
    - Orient our military for the securing of our borders, which is their proper and original purpose (NOBODY’s getting through unless they come through legal channels).
    - Withdraw from all foreign alliances and establish complete diplomatic neutrality.
    - Impose tariffs on countries that impose tariffs on us or who unfairly subsidize their industries.
    - Discontinue all domestic industrial subsidies.

Once the above has been implemented and there will be no reason for anyone to think we are stepping on their toes, we will expect not to be attacked, terrorized, etc. Given that we will now completely neutral and initiate no threat to anyone, any and all acts of violent aggression against our nation will be met with an appropriate, but overwhelming response. But we much prefer peaceful and voluntary trade partnerships.

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    by William Blum

"If I were president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United states in a few days. Permanently. I would first apologize-very publicly and very sincerely-to all the widows and orphans, the impoverished ad tortured, and all the many millions of other victims of American imperialism. Then I would announce to every corner of the world that America's global military interventions have come to an end. I would then inform Israel that it is no longer the 51st state of the union but-oddly enough-a foreign country. Then I would reduce the military budget by at least 90% and use the savings to pay reparations to the victims and repair the damage from the many American bombings, invasions, and sanctions. There would be more than enough money. One year's military budget in the United States is equal to more than $20,000 per hour for every hour since Jesus Christ was born. That's one year. That's what I'd do on my first three days in the White House. On the fourth day, I'd be assassinated."

from an interview

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...=1&ItemID=6702

what is the likely hood of this ever happening, that is an apology from the U.S.A
    That's right, because being nice to people who are crazy enough to kill thousands of innocent people by running airplanes in to them, will definitely make them stop. And reducing our military by 90 percent would definitely be a smart thing to do even without a terrorist threat. Wow. I'm all for taking care of our own country before others, but snap back in to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    I would do it a bit differently (yeah, like that comes as any surprise ). I would tell the world that, in response to the complaints and requests, the US is PULLING OUT in a big way. So that nobody can ever again tell us that we’re meddling in their affairs, the following will be effective immediately:

We will:
    - Withdraw all foreign aid to all nations.
    - Leave the UN.
    - Withdraw all funding for international organizations (including the UN).
    - Discontinue our membership in all international organizations such as the WTO.
    - Bring ALL our military back home so we are no longer protecting OTHER people’s countries for them at our expense (South Korea, Germany, etc).
    - Orient our military for the securing of our borders, which is their proper and original purpose (NOBODY’s getting through unless they come through legal channels).
    - Withdraw from all foreign alliances and establish complete diplomatic neutrality.
    - Impose tariffs on countries that impose tariffs on us or who unfairly subsidize their industries.
    - Discontinue all domestic industrial subsidies.

Once the above has been implemented and there will be no reason for anyone to think we are stepping on their toes, we will expect not to be attacked, terrorized, etc. Given that we will now completely neutral and initiate no threat to anyone, any and all acts of violent aggression against our nation will be met with an appropriate, but overwhelming response. But we much prefer peaceful and voluntary trade partnerships.
    We did this exact thing before WWII. I think that we must remain engaged, but wisely so.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    We did this exact thing before WWII. I think that we must remain engaged, but wisely so.
    Actually, we did it before WWI as well. After having the reluctant taste of global war in our mouth in WWI, we found it bitter and did not wish to enter another. In fact, public sentiment against invovlement in war was so strong that Roosevelt promised he would not get the US into another war (while secretly assuring his friends overseas that he would bring us into it).

So to make good on his promises abroad without compromising his credibility at home, he had to see to it that something happened that would leave America with no option but engagement. Result: Pearl Harbor.

Without Pearl Harbor, America would have seen no imperative to enter the war. While many say Germany would have absorbed the globe, I don't believe that's true. The Russians would have worn them down, and in turn, they would have worn down the Russians. Heck, if Germany couldn't project its power across the English Channel, I doubt they'd have fared much better across the Atlantic Ocean.

As a result, America would never have emerged as a global military superpower (which would be fine by me, so long as we had enough to defend ourselves). There'd never have been a Cold War. No nuclear arms race (and possibly no nuclear arms). And possibly no more oppressive Soviet Union as the Communist regime would have been so depleted that it probably would have fallen even to a weak freedom movement.

If you think engagement in international affairs (even if limited) is the surest course to peace and prosperity, look no further than the Swiss. And I think we are in an even better situation than the Swiss to be neutral. The Swiss are protected by mountains whereas we are protected by two VAST oceans and two friendly (more or less) neighbors. I see no reason we shouldn't follow the Swiss example just as our Founders had intended.

I see no reason we shouldn't follow the Swiss example just as our Founders had intended.
    500 years of peace -and what did the Swiss come up with? The Cuckoo Clock! [Orson Welles]

Oceans ain't much good against ICBM's Brady.

WWI? Read Birdsong. Good book if you're interested in that madness and mayhem.

I see no reason we shouldn't follow the Swiss example just as our Founders had intended.
    The Swiss 'example' is a myth. Swiss complicity with Hitler's regime is well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Oceans ain't much good against ICBM's Brady.
    But why would anyone want to point ICBMs at their best trading partner who poses no threat to them?

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    The Swiss 'example' is a myth. Swiss complicity with Hitler's regime is well documented.
    That's true. However, I don't think Hitler would have wanted to fight the Swiss had they resisted. It would have been a HUGE quagmire for him.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast