• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sax-a-ma-phones?

Share/Bookmark

Sax-a-ma-phones?

Are there any plans in a future upgrade to add a sax section with a nice *classical* tone to the patch list? After reading the Treatise On Instrumentation by Berlioz and Strauss and seeing all the glowing things they thought the future held for the sax before jazz players got hold of it, I wanted to add a sax section to future orchestra pieces.

If anyone has ever heard a good classical sax player with that tone, it is truly GORGEOUS! Listen to the Ravel orchestration of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition.. The Castle", Bolero, etc. The best part about the saxes as a section is, much like the strings, uniformity of timbre from top to bottom. So if you can find some good classical players, I would at least add them to my orchestrations!

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Talking Re: Sax-a-ma-phones?

Several other (principally) French composers made good use of the saxophone in their works -- among them Jacques Ibert and Darius Milhaud. I think there definitely is a place in modern symphonic compositions for those colors, as well.

Initially, I misunderstood Gary early on in the days of discussing the Update and assumed that classical saxes would be coming with it; later, it was clarified that the Update would include no new samples but would be restricted to new and improved programming on the starter set. (And I guess you can't make saxes where there were none before!)

I would (personally) still pay extra for some symphonic alto and tenor sax "players" in my GPO!

my $0.02 ... KevinKauai

Re: Sax-a-ma-phones?

From what I understand there is going to be a "Big Band" add-on for jazzy music composition, and I believe there will be at least five saxophones - the bass, baritone, tenor, alto and soprano saxophones. I believe they are looking at the possibility of adding a contrabass saxophone as well (also known as the Tubax), but I can't be sure if it will be included, but as for the other 5 saxes I am 99% sure as these 5 saxes are an integral part of the big band instrumentation, as are bugles, fludgels and cornets, and maybe fritzuels, and a few other brass instruments that I can't remember, I think a euphonium and some other jazz horns are being added as well. The fritzuel is like a small "piccolo" french horn that really produces an awesome sound.

Having 5 saxes to cover the whole range is going to be really nice.

As for a contrabass sax...well, GPO has a contrabass tuba...and yep, you guessed it, the tuba is a member of the brass family. I'm not 100% sure if the contrabass sax will make it into Big Band but if the GPO brass set is anything to go by I think it probably will.

Hmmm. Big band saxes would never work in Orchestral music. The tone is totally different. If the classical saxophones were ever done, the whole set would have to be done, because I believe Adophe Sax's intention was for it to be another section in the orchestra.

.... Maybe someday.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Did Someone say Sax-a-ma-phone?

Hey- you did that in Photoshop!! Right??

ha ha ha ha ha

Hello Mr Garritan,

WOW! Now that thing is a BEAST!

And look who is playing it. Jay Easton! That guy is a well known saxophone player, and am told he is a genius when it comes to playing low range wind instruments, especially the saxes.

I'm so happy to see this little hint. Now I know for sure that a contrabass saxophone will be included in the Big Band package.

Any news on the bass and the piccolo (soprillo) saxophones? I just cannot wait until this thing is out.

It's only a matter of time and we'll see Big Band...I think Big Band will be focusing mainly on woodwind/brass instruments, which is a good thing since most of the attention will be paid to the quality of the sampling. I hope that these instruments will be chromatically sampled, even if it pushes up the price. To me chromatic sampling is well worth it, even if there is more effort required in testing the consistency of the attack/intonation of each chromatic sample.

Cheers,
    Ben

[QUOTE=jesshmusic]Are there any plans in a future upgrade to add a sax section with a nice *classical* tone to the patch list? After reading the [

If anyone has ever heard a good classical sax player with that tone, it is truly GORGEOUS! Listen to the Ravel orchestration of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition.. The Castle", Bolero, etc. The best part about the saxes as a section is, much like the strings, uniformity of timbre from top to bottom. So if you can find some good classical players, I would at least add them to my orchestrations!

Exactly my sentiments - for anyone who has not heard classical saxophones please understand that having heard pop and jazz saxophones is no substitute whatsoever. As much as I love a nice breathy tenor sound (Lucky Thompson, Ben Webster etc.) I must say that the classical sound of alto, tenor, soprano, sopranino, or baritone is ultra smooth, rich, round, and absolutely breathtaking.

This is something that would be very, very much desirable.

Thanks,

Dan

Talking Re: Sax-a-ma-phones?

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Hey- you did that in Photoshop!! Right??
    No..that's an actual unedited photo of a special Sax-a-ma-phone.

Gary

Go Back to forum