• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius and GPO: Poll

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius and GPO: Poll

Hi everyone,

The GPO tutorials for Finale look great, yes!
    Overture integrates perfectly with GPO, yes!
    Now . . . what about Sibelius?

And incidentally, NO ONE is allowed to try to convince me to switch to Overture.

I'm working on a tutorial, but I want to take a poll of all the Sibelius users:

1. Are you using the plugins from the Garritan website? Are they doing the trick for you?
    2. How are you doing keyswitching and c7 volume controls -- are you embedding them in dynamics?
    3. Have you built any custom templates?
    4. Have you built any custom plugins?
    5. How are you bouncing out to audio? Via GPO Studio? Via audio tools like Audio Hijack?
    6. Got any hot tips you want to share?
    7. Got any major frustrations you want to solve?

Pencils down!

(I'll be compiling all the resources so stay tuned!)

Peter Kirn
    Writer, Keyboard Magazine
    Editor, createdigitalmusic | http://www.createdigitalmusic.com

Re: Sibelius and GPO: Poll

Hi

Here are my answers (this test is a bit hard, isn't it )

1. I use the legato-slurs plugin, and it saves a lot of time and trouble.
    2. For KS I use grace notes placed in the right places. It doesn't look good but it works. I set the volume by using the sliders in the mixer window.
    3. I don't use templates.
    4. Building plugins is a bit advanced for me.
    5. I have tried the recording function in Studio, but I still prefer to save the midi and use my sequencer for the final touches.
    6. It took me a while to figure out that by setting the durations of notes for slurred groups to about 104% to get really nice legato together with c64. Perhaps that's common knowledge, but I'm very happy that I've discovered that.
    7. The only problem I have is that, if I don't turn on my midi keyboard, studio simply doesn't want to work. For some reason I don't understand, I have to follow a particular sequence of events in order for Sibelius to play back through Studio. It's a bit annoying having to HAVE the keyboard ON every time I use Sibelius. But other than that, everything works as smoothly as one could want. I'm very happy.

(did I pass the test? )

Kind Regards

LouisD

Peter,
    OK, I won't convince you to switch to Overture, but I will try to convince you to switch to Cakewalk Music Creator.
    (I'm not a Sibelius user)
    The main think I like about Cakewalk and GPO DXI is that you can export audio in MP3 format right when your done. And when your writing the music, there is virtually no latency.
    I would highly recomend Cakewalk, but if you perfer notation programs, Noteworthy composer is where I'd recomend you to go.
    Noteworthy composer allows you to control most controls, but not all of them. But with keyswitches, you can make some notes hidden so that you can print scores without all of these really low notes printed out of nowhere. And the best part is that it's very simple and understandable (as is Cakewalk)

Best reguards,
    Chris

Give me (along with a big stick) a day and a half with you and I'll convince you to switch to Overture.

Quote Originally Posted by pkirn
    1. Are you using the plugins from the Garritan website? Are they doing the trick for you?
    I am using the plugins from the Garritan website. I would like for the plugins to be more inclusive, however, so that the new ammount of KSing is accounted for; as well as new plugins for other instruments (KS solo string, woodwinds, percussion, etc).

2. How are you doing keyswitching and c7 volume controls -- are you embedding them in dynamics?
    Yeah, I use the technique outlined in the directions: ff~C1,127 etc

3. Have you built any custom templates?
    I'm not sure what a custom template is.

4. Have you built any custom plugins?
    No, although I'd love to not only build the ones I mentioned above, but also a new timestamping plugin -- there's a bug in the current version of Sibelius that messes up timestamping after 35 minutes! So after 35 minutes of a compositon (I work on a lot of silent movies where a score is 60-90 mins) I have to actually click on a note and press play to find the time. What a nightmare!

5. How are you bouncing out to audio? Via GPO Studio? Via audio tools like Audio Hijack?
    Luckily I stumbled on Tracktion when they were giving it out for free a couple months ago. I just export my sibelius file as a midi, import it as a new edit in Tracktion and insert all my sounds with the GPO vst plugin.

6. Got any hot tips you want to share?
    none, sorry!

7. Got any major frustrations you want to solve?
    I'd like it if the Garritan Ambience filter would have presets when imported into Tracktion. For some reason, it doesn't, and there's no way I'm playing with all those knobs to try to get the same reverb I had before!

Joe -- please -- try your best to make me switch over to Overture! I love sibelius, but I am always interested in new softwares and technologies -- why is Overture so good?

Take care,
    Paul Bergel
    www.pauldavidbergel.com

Go Back to forum