• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Afraid to Install GS3!!

Share/Bookmark

Afraid to Install GS3!!

Just received it. My God!

What percentage of people are actually getting it installed and running without damage to their computer? "Incompatible with Outlook". Are you kidding? Has this been fixed? Will it be? I have to have Outlook on my computer (to contact Tascam support!!)

I've never before received software with so many SERIOUS "Known Issues".

Comfort me...

Jerry "Just staring at the box" Pettit

Re: Afraid to Install GS3!!

Installing GS3 will NOT damage your computer. You can always "uninstall it" and use "GigaClean.exe" to remove the registry entries.

As for the "Known Issues List", that is a laundry list of any problem ANY tester had. I have MS Outlook on my computer with GS3 and I have no problems at all (of course I don't run them at the same time).

From my perspective, GS3 is just a application that wants to use a lot of system resources to be able to play large samples back fast.

Well, I'm one of the poor sods that actually had Giga 3 trash my OS. I'm still suffering for it. I don't know why or how, but it happened. Even after my subsequent uninstall of Giga, I still get random BSOD's and something keeps trashing my registry. So, I'm not touching the thing, but remember, that's just my experience. I have a friend who hasn't had a bit of trouble, so I guess, its all in how lucky you are.

Ok, I installed it.

So far, so good, but--where's the CD Key?

I can find it NOWHERE in the packaging, on the CD--anywhere!!

Jerry

If it's an upgrade, they will e-mail you the CD-Key, or better yet, call them on Monday. The key doesn't come in the box for upgrades.

DO NOT RUN GIGA CLEAN. It will trash your grace period, then you would have to wait until Tascam returns from the holiday.

-JF

Yes. You can ONLY run GigaClean:

- after you have successfully authorized GS3
    - after you have performed "Backup License Now"

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Well, I'm one of the poor sods that actually had Giga 3 trash my OS. I'm still suffering for it. I don't know why or how, but it happened. Even after my subsequent uninstall of Giga, I still get random BSOD's and something keeps trashing my registry.
    After you uninstalled GS3, did you run "GigaClean.exe"?

Also, you might look at this "Giga2.5 Uninstall" document. Things may be different between v2.5 and v3.0, but perhaps the GS3 unistaller does not unistall everything:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/clean-uninstall-xp-2K.pdf

Incompatible with Outlook....? right. I don't know what version causes those problems, but i'm running a GS3 pc which has outlook on it, and I sometimes even check my email while playing back in GS3. No problems whatsoever...

[QUOTE=Martin Hines]Installing GS3 will NOT damage your computer.

I wouldn't be so quick to give guarantees. I haven't installed GS3 yet, because my system still hasn't recovered from a spectacular crash, apparently caused by the drivers of GS2.5. My system went into a cycle of crashing and rebooting itself, until the RAM was destroyed and the hard drives completely corrupted (they may also be physically damaged but I won't know until I've got some more RAM and tried to rebuild the machine).

It may not have been GS's fault, but the only time that I managed to interrupt the cycle of reboots I got the message that the operating system was unstable, and would I like to disdable all drivers associated with Giga technology. When I clicked 'yes' the system crashed again.

Possibly the cause was that I still had hyperthreading enabled, which was a known issue, but the point is that things only become known issues when people discover them, and who's to say how much damage these discoveries will entail.

Pingu:

It is so sad that you had so much trouble. I can not pinpoint where you have made a mistake or, if you did not, which component of your machine was responsible for all your problems.
    Keep in mind however that hundreds ( if not thousands) of people installed GS3 so far and had not trouble at all. I was able to install without any problem and later had some problems which turned out to be my own fault, not the fault of this software, which, by the way, is doing great if you follow this forum and count the legitimate beefs. Very few...
    I know, it is not perfect, but VERY GOOD!
    Ted

Go Back to forum