New GS3 FAQs and WinXP Optimization

Tascam has updated their website to include some GS3 specific items:

- GS3 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

- GS3 Windows XP Optimization

http://www.tascamgiga.com/general.html

Talking Re: New GS3 FAQs and WinXP Optimization

thanks for that Martin

Question Re: New GS3 FAQs and WinXP Optimization

Its funny that I just read all this stuff minutes before looking at this post, but thanks anyway Martin.

I am kinda prepreparing myself for the arrival of GS3 orchestra on Monday. I am still afraid to install GS3 onto my single DAW system with Cubase SX 2.02.035 (I have never worked with GS ever). I pretty much meet the requirement of the Ultimate GS3 machine specs in the tascam site, except I have a P2.8 instead of P3.0 or above.

Do these computer Specs in tascam site refer to a dedicated Gigastudio PC specs or a single DAW with host sequencer specs, or for both. Any comments

I fear that things may start crashing on me, but I am trying to be as positive as I can possibly be. Here is part of the reason for my fear. prior to installing Kontakt on my computer, I had a very robust computer, that never crashed on me, but after my recent Kontakt installation (even with latest updates), my system crashes on me with an error message and I have to restart Cubase.

Now, to add to this I will also be installing GS3 on the same computer, and I fear that it may add to more problems.

Any suggestions

Re: New GS3 FAQs and WinXP Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7
    Any suggestions
    Back up your system first. Better yet, use an alternate boot drive with a removable drive system for testing until you know everything's going to be cool.

G

"Disable System Restore"

"Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > System Restore Tab. Tick the "Turn off System Restore on all Drives"

this is bull~~~~, REALLY!

system restore is really needfull sometimes.
    backps are better though!

dont do this on your system disk. changing this has no impact onto the performance of you GS3 system at all!!! so there is no reason to dissable this.

there are other tweaks in the list which dont improve the system performance at all to but these dont to bad things dissabled so it dosent matter if they are dissabled.
    Digital AudionetworX

Are there any tweaks which you do recommend that were not listed in the FAQ. I noticed in another thread that you have been able use much more memory than I can (I think you got your machines to use over 1.3 GB whereas I'm only getting .9 GB on a 2 gig system).

Thanks,
    Jay

Cool Re: New GS3 FAQs and WinXP Optimization

Thanks for the response

I backed up my files using my removable hard drive. But How do I boot with an alternate boot drive. I do have a removable drive system. My OS is on C drive, and I have another drive for audio, and 2 SATA raptors in raid 0 for samples. Where would I Install GS3 for testing, and how would I be able to boot in order to install GS3 for testing.

When I initially built my DAW, I did a lot of win XP tweaks including disabling system restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal

you dont need this. just select the drive in bios you want to boot from. thats it!
    you get into bios with pressing delete or F2.

version 3.03 dont allows much more then 1100mb in msg.exe.
    i was able to load more then 1300mb in msg.exe with v. 3.01 after i dissabled allmost all services.
    Digital AudionetworX

Cool Re: New GS3 FAQs and WinXP Optimization

OK, I'll try that, Thanks

Go Back to forum