• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO in Thanksgiving Day Parade and Chicago hit Musical

Orcas Island

Thumbs up GPO in Thanksgiving Day Parade and Chicago hit Musical

Steve Goers, a grammy-nominated composer in Chicago, has done the music for the first fully authorized musical adaptation of "Where the Wild Things Are". Steve writes he "used GPO almost exclusively" on this project. The show completely sold out its first run at the Apollo Theatre, and has since been extended twice, has booked almost 100 tour dates, and some top theaters are seeking to license the show.

A 2-minute excerpt of the show will be featured during the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade, which is broadcast live on ABC! Steve writes "Only 3 Chicago theaters are selected each year, and this year it was Goodman's "Christmas Carol" (a perennial shoe-in), the national tour of "Mama Mia" (the highest grossing show in Chicago) and us! We were incredibly honored, and as a result now my GPO-heavy score will be on national TV Thanksgiving"

In other news, Steve also writes: "My holiday "Cinderella" show opened Saturday, and I was literally mobbed afterwards, mostly by directors and board members of the theater, asking where I had recorded the orchestra! One of the older composers who was in attendance STILL doesn't believe it was software. There's a quiet bit in the show that's a flute and bass clarinet duet, and when I finished the phrase by key-switching into the flute flutter, he turned around in his seat and glared at me as if to say "gotcha!" Swear to God."

Tune in to the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade on ABC (broadcast nationwide USA) and maybe you'll hear some of GPO. I am hoping Steve may send an excerpt after the event.

Steve, thanks for sharing this and congratulations!

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO in Thanksgiving Day Parade and Chicago hit Musical

That is the coolest thing I have heard in a while. Excellent. I knew from the beginning that GPO would change the way we look at sampled music. I must say that I am completely awed and humbled by being able to participate in this landmark, technological achievment.

Also, I would like to pass on my congratulations to Steve as well. This gives me hope that someday, one of my GPO scored musicals will have a chance.

Congratulations to all.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thumbs up Re: GPO in Thanksgiving Day Parade and Chicago hit Musical

Congrats Steve and Gary! That's an incredibly cool achievement.

I've been working with Deane Ogden on an indie feature that's slated for the festival circuit (I believe Sundance is confirmed, others will follow). I used GPO exclusively for my orchestral cues - and Deane hired a 75 piece orchestra to play the other, longer parts. Last night, during a recording session break, he told me that he's already started blending in GPO with his live parts to beef them up a bit - and is likely going to keep them in the mix as they blend so well with the live players. Once it's all done, I'll sit down and list out how it was used - hopefully by then there will be more confirmations of festivals it will be showing. Warner Bros has already optioned the distribution, so I'm pretty sure that it will be reach a broader audience at some point. It's kudos to Gary that GPO plays so well with directors and live players alike.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: GPO in Thanksgiving Day Parade and Chicago hit Musical

Congrats Gary and Steve! What a feather in your cap! No, not a turkey feather either!

Thanks, everyone! And thanks Gary for the great introduction. I can't believe I'm just now discovering this forum! I'm really looking forward to getting to know some of the folks here.

The parade went really well, and the cast was on the front page of the metro section of today's Tribune - it was very cool! I promise I'll send along an excerpt - I'd really love to get some feedback from other GPO users.

Thanks again for all the nice sentiments, and happy Thanksgiving!

Wilton, NH

Congrats to both of you, Steve and Gary. Can’t wait to hear clips of music from the play.

GPO seems to be getting some high profile gigs, which is great. When I see (and hear) all of the things people are doing with GPO it’s inspiring - I know the software isn’t holding me back.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum