• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 1.5.2 - Giga import vanished - am I nuts?

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 1.5.2 - Giga import vanished - am I nuts?

To all of you users of the full version of Kontakt - am I going nuts?

I was working with import of a few Giga files (G-Town) into the full version of Kontakt. When looking in the browser, I could see a little \"GIG\" logo next to the .gig files found in a folder. When dragging and dropping that file into an empty instrument slot, I get a nice little wizard asking me to specify the location for the converted sample file. Once done with that portion, it seemed the file was converted without a hitch, and I was able to save the instrument file and follow up with updating the multi. That was last night.

Today I cannot seem to get a .gig file to show up as a known type. When I go to Tools>>Show menu, Giga is not available in the pick list. Is this correct? Wasn\'t it there as a selection? I\'m completely confused.

I really need to get this clarified, as I\'m writing a review of this app for AudioMIDI.com and I promised to deliver my final draft on Monday. If anyone at NI is watching this list over the weekend, I\'d greatly appreciate some
    expedited feedback on this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Kontakt 1.5.2 - Giga import vanished - am I nuts?

I can\'t help you, but I can say that I just installed Kompakt (and the latest update) -- (just bought it) this past week, and there is no icon for gig or sf2, even though both are supported. There is also a ??? where sample size is supposed to go. This is unlike the Kontakt demo I had installed when I installed Kompakt. I\'ve wondered if it was due to Kontakt already being there, or if it was just not an included feature of Kompakt.

Houston, No, .gig doesn`t show up as known type in Kontakt. But it doesnt matter .Just click the ??? unknown and .gigs and everything else will show up in the Kontakt`s browser. Actually the giga import still isnt 100% perfect with some Libs. still .But has never been better all round.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Rich

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    Houston, No, .gig doesn`t show up as known type in Kontakt.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I could have SWORN I saw Kontakt with a \"GIG\" identifier in the browser. I was able to drag and drop a .gig file into the instrumnent rack. It\'s not there now and drag and drop is not working. I *was* able to user the batch convert, but I\'m still scratching my head over the observations I made last night versus what I\'m *not* seeing today.

I noticed that the import doesn\'t seem to work properly if you place the destination to a different folder that where the gig files were to begin with. It works fine as long as I use the same destination folder I started with.

Here\'s the answer I got from the NI board - thought it worth sharing.

Originally posted by ddas
    I just checked it out for you.

It appears that NI did remove Giga in the list of \"show file type\" options, so you\'re right about that.

However, I tested with a few different Giga files (including some from a commercial Giga CD and a couple of freebies I just randomly downloaded from the internet) and was able to load both types. I noticed that Kontakt\'s behavior had changed: instead of showing \"GIG File\" like an older version of Kontakt did, now the GIG file just shows up as a folder. (I guess that\'s why there\'s no option to hide Giga files anymore; Kontakt just treats them like folders now).

If you click the + by the side of the folder, it shows two subfolders (programs and samples). If you click on the programs folder, in the lower pane, you get a list of all patches that you could load. Usefully, at this point you can either double-click on a single patch to open it in Kontakt, or you can click on the entire Programs folder and choose Giga Batch Conversion and it\'ll convert the entire thing intelligently (converting each patch, making one Samples folder, with no duplication of samples).

Giga import has been much improved in the latest 1.5.2 and it now supports Giga dimensions as well as a large number of other tweaks to bring its import up to full functionality. See the release notes for more details.

Hope that helps...post back here if you have more questions.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I was obviously stumbling into the \"gig folder\" in the browser with I mistakenly thought I had batch converted the file. The explanation above makes perfects sense and now I see that when I\'m drilling into the \"Programs\" sub-heading under a gig-file-based folder, that Kontakt is actaully peering into the .gig file for me. SLICK! Now, I\'m back to seeing the \"GIG\" file moniker within the programs folder and I\'m back to a known place for drag and drop (or batch conversion).

It should also be noted that if you select \"unknown\" in the file type list that the .gig files will show up with a \"??\" moniker next to them when viewing the folder above the .gig files. The gigs still show up as folders, though, but that was the source of my confusion.

Go Back to forum