• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to move gigs in subdirs without messing up performances?

Share/Bookmark

How to move gigs in subdirs without messing up performances?

Anyone know how to do this? I used to have all my gigs in one folder.. I moved them into sub directories to clean it up a bit. But now, obviously, the performance won\'t know where to find the gigs. How can I fix this, aside from redoing the performances from scratch?

Thanks

Re: How to move gigs in subdirs without messing up performances?

I think you answered your own question. It does seem like great idea to have GS search the database when loading a performance file ... but NOPE ... doesnt work that way ....

i advice you to r-click in the loaded instruments area and \'export patch names to file\' after each save .. that way u at least have a list of what patches you used.

passacaglia

Hello Sam,

No problem, the performance will still load for you. Each .Gig (or .wav, .gsp, etc.) get a unique ID tag in the Quicksound database. When these get moved, guess what, the filespy monitor makes a note of it. The next time you start GigaStudio or rebuild the Quicksound database and then load the performance (.gsp) file it goes out and finds the instruments though they may be in different folders, on different drives, or even mapped network drives. There may be a short delay while the search is performed but once found, they will load same as they always have.

I tried this on GigaStudio 2.52.06 and the latest version available is 2.53.00. Check your version and update if necessary. If you are running 2.52.06 or higher and this is not working, try rebuilding the entire database. If you are using mapped network drives, make sure to check the \"reconnect at logon\" option when mapping the drive(s).

Once the performance loads having found the instruments in their new locations, save the performance and the new file paths will be saved with the .gsp file. If you move them again, not to worry, the filespy monitor will be taking notes so you won\'t have to. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Let us know how it goes.

Kevin

That\'s incredibly wonderful Kevin. Just the way things should be. I wonder how many people realise this?

I\'m having problems getting this working. I have GS96 2.53. I rebuilt the database, yet still when I try to open the performance, I get this error:

A problem occurred whilst trying to open the performance file.

Not to mention that I actually moved the performance files from the C:\\Gigs directory (their original location) to somewhere else.. maybe that\'s why? Any ideas?

Hello Sam,

Well, that is puzzling. I tried moving the performance file around to different locations and that work even without refreshing the database.

Do ALL your performances not work anymore, or is the problem with just one or a few. If you can isolate the behavior in this way it may be that the .gsp itself is in a bad state and may need to be rebuilt.

There is a handy-dandy utility that will let you open a .gsp (or any file for that matter) and see its contents. It\'s a free download here:

AnalogX TextScan utility

Let us know how it goes.

Kevin

OK, nevermind. And this is the kind of nevermind where I\'m too embarassed to explain why.. so don\'t ask [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Let\'s just say I wasn\'t doing something right, and it was stupidly simple.

Thanks though.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If anyone\'s interested, I wrote a program a while back that you can use to load a gsp file and see what\'s in there - patch names, patch numbers, file names. You can also edit the patch numbers - definitely an \"at your own risk\" feature. It can save a *useful* text version of the gsp, and it can save an accurate .ins instrument definition file for use by Cakewalk/SONAR. Email me if you\'d like to try it. wkcl@pacbell.net

That\'s great, Sam! I\'m glad you got it working. You can keep your \"fix\" a secret if you like. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

ursatz-

That looks like a real useful utility. I have an older utility called \"GspView\" that does a similar thing, but looks like the \".ins\" file creation is a real nice feature. Thanks for making the offer to make that available.

Kevin

There is a handy-dandy utility that will let you open a .gsp (or any file for that matter) and see its contents. It\'s a free download here:

AnalogX TextScan utility
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I downloaded this an installed it, but can\'t get it to do anything. How do you actually load in a file? (All it seems to let you do is create a directory where you want the ouput to end up).

Go Back to forum