• Register
  • Help

Topic: Unable to load flutes and french horns

Share/Bookmark

Unable to load flutes and french horns

I have version 1.2 of GPO on my large desktop computer with windows xp SP1, and 2 gigs of RAM.

I can load most instruments, but when I try to load flutes or french horn I get the immediate message:

"could not find sample"

it offers me the questions:

"find it automatically or locate it manually"

I can find the files on my hard drive via windows explorer, so I know the flute and horn files are there (unless they are somehow corrupted). However, given the two choices above, the choice "auto-find" is available but "find" is grayed out. When I use "auto-find" the search processes doesn't find it. If I could manually use "find" I could manually go to where the files are, but again, this option is grayed out.

I could try to replace the flutes with either alto flutes or piccolo, but the range is off and I'd have to transpose some of the notes. For the moment, I am using trombones for the horns.

Any idea of how to load the flutes and horns?

Thanks!

David

Re: Unable to load flutes and french horns

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    I have version 1.2 of GPO on my large desktop computer with windows xp SP1, and 2 gigs of RAM.

I can load most instruments, but when I try to load flutes or french horn I get the immediate message:

"could not find sample"

it offers me the questions:

"find it automatically or locate it manually"

I can find the files on my hard drive via windows explorer, so I know the flute and horn files are there (unless they are somehow corrupted). However, given the two choices above, the choice "auto-find" is available but "find" is grayed out. When I use "auto-find" the search processes doesn't find it. If I could manually use "find" I could manually go to where the files are, but again, this option is grayed out.

I could try to replace the flutes with either alto flutes or piccolo, but the range is off and I'd have to transpose some of the notes. For the moment, I am using trombones for the horns.

Any idea of how to load the flutes and horns?

Thanks!

David

My GPO is non-functional until at least tomorrow, so I can't test this. But, my first move would be to re-install GPO Studio. If that fails, I would re-install the new update, which ought to refresh your library.

Richard

I would like to try to reinstall GPO. I am reluctant. The second disc has a scratch in the paper side and seems to take very long (10 minutes) to load. Honestly, I think that the packaging to GPO could have been better,... I found it very difficult to remove the top discs on both sides. It could be that those files (flute and horns) were affected by this paper scratch, but I'm not sure, because the files do show up on windows explorer. Then again, GPO cannot find those files to load them. And although one gets the feeling that you could manually find those files and load them after pointing out their hard disc address, the loading system grays out the "find" button choice that it gives when it cannot find the file itself.

I did not see an upgrade to GPO itself on the GPO webpage. I just saw the upgrade to GPO studio, which I believe I have the latest version. Re-downloadign the studio probably will not re-load the instrument files. No?

David

I would like to try to reinstall GPO. I am reluctant. The second disc has a scratch in the paper side and seems to take very long (10 minutes) to load. Honestly, I think that the packaging to GPO could have been better,... I found it very difficult to remove the top discs on both sides. It could be that those files (flute and horns) were affected by this paper scratch, but I'm not sure, because the files do show up on windows explorer. Then again, GPO cannot find those files to load them. And although one gets the feeling that you could manually find those files and load them after pointing out their hard disc address, the loading system grays out the "find" button choice that it gives when it cannot find the file itself.

I did not see an upgrade to GPO itself on the GPO webpage. I just saw the upgrade to GPO studio, which I believe I have the latest version. Re-downloadign the studio probably will not re-load the instrument files. No?

David
    Well, the disks do fit a bit tight in the package, hard to remove. But I would suspect that if the scratch is on the paper, the disk is probably not damaged. But since the data is on a thin film below the label, damage is possible.

Re-installing the Studio will not re-install the instruments. But it might make it possible for Studio to find them. I had a problem like that, and I think that re-installing Studio solved it.

There is, on the Garritan site, a free update of GPO. You probably did not look far enough. I can't remember the exact path, but it is there, and worth the trouble. This will, among other things, install an instrument file, actually, two, if you also select the X-Custom instruments folder.

Well, perhaps Gary to Tom will be on line in a few hours, and add some help, or you could email one of them. They are extremely helpful.

Richard

David

Two thoughts just hit me.

1. The loading time is probably okay. The program installs slowly on my machine.

2..For safety sake, make a copy of the cd, and probably of all the others. I recently asked Gary about this, and he said it's okay. Once you have the copies, install with them.

Richard

Well, I did notice that there is a scratch on disc 2.

I was able to copy the contents of disc 3 to my hard drive, but when I tried to copy disc 2 I got the "cyclic redundancy error" suggesting to me that the scratch is the problem. I could not clean up the scratch. Neither did the "CDCheck3" program help.

I looked all over the home page for GPO and could not find an update to GPO itself. If it is there, it is hiding.

I have one more thing to try, and that is to see if I can transport the files from my laptop to this desktop. But if I recall, there were some missing files on my laptop, maybe the same ones, so this may not be a resource.

Thanks for your help.

David

I would contact Gary for replacement CD's. Your library files may be corrupted so the update may not help. The update is at

http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

The library update is part of the newest Kontakt Player upgrade. It's the first link on the page.

Go Back to forum