• Register
  • Help

Topic: strangely slow boot up anyone?

Share/Bookmark

strangely slow boot up anyone?

after spending the last 3 months or so, with G3.00 and G3.01, I've had a real fast boot up of the app.
    I was about to update to 3.03, but still on 3.01, and I am starting to have, for no reason at all, to wait quite a while for Giga to boot up very slowly, coming on little by little...frame of the window first...into white screen...sluggish start...etc.

I'd be real interested in any PC winsdom

P4_1.8Gz_Xp
    Thanks
    B

Re: strangely slow boot up anyone?

Sometimes I see that when launching the app by double clicking a performance file that includes Giga Pulse. To avoid it, I launch the app first, then open the performance. Either way, it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

PIV/2.4GHz

G

Have you updated your QuickSound database with any recent changes?

As I imagine it (this may or may not be correct), GigaStudio tries to monitor ALL file changes on the hard disk, even when Giga is NOT running. It does this so it "knows" when it needs to "update itself". I conclude this because sometimes when GS3 loads, I can see it "spinning" through a disk, updating the QuickSound database as part of GS loading.

Therefore, if you keep the QuickSound database updated, GS3 will take less time to boot.

Yes, what Martin said...
    Sorry for the obvious, but do you have internet connection on this machine? If yes, download the Stinger from McAffee, and run it. Maybe a rotten worm is hiding somewhere?

Ted

I'm having exactly the same situation - with the (very) slow boot, that is. I literally can make a pot of coffee in the time it takes GS3 (3.03) to load up an existing performance - with *no* FX at all. I've tried the method of booting the app, then opening the performance, but it's about the same. Booting GS3 alone runs 2-3 minutes, then the performance, another 3-5 minutes. All told, plenty of time for that coffee. Booting from the initial install (GS3 3.0) wasn't all that quick but not *nearly* this slow?

bill myers, composer

p.s. it's rebuilding the QS DB *every time* the app's booting?!
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers

p.s. it's rebuilding the QS DB *every time* the app's booting?!
    I assume there are two "time consuming" activities as part of GS3 startup:
    - some "VST plug-in" scanning
    - file monitoring "updates" to the Quick Sound database

Of course, these are just my theories -- I don't REALLY know...

1. VST Plug-in Scanning
    I make this assumption due to the fact that GS3 kept crashing my system the first 10 times or so I loaded it (after the initial install). These crashes were all errors regarding a particular VST it was trying to "process". GS3 finally stopped crashing after it made its way through all of my VSTs. When I now go to GS3 System Settings and click on "Configure plugins", I see a list of plugins, classified as enabled or blocked.

I therefore asssume that upon startup, GS3 does SOME type of processing of my GS3 set "VST search paths".

2. QuickSound database Updates
    Somehow, with both GS2.5 AND GS3, GS seems to "know" if I have deleted .gigs, .wavs, etc., because sometimes I see a window "GS adding or removing from database" display. This can only be due to some sort of file monitoring activity, when GS is NOT running.

Also, this monitoring activity isn't "perfect" because I have added .gigs which GS "missed" (causing me to have to rebuild the Quick Sound database).

well, thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

the Data base aspect of it is inherent to GS3, and while it scans, you can see the grey window going through its paces, and that wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

I ALWAYS start from the app and never boot up straight from a performance (as I general rule it's more efficient with any app in my experience), so it can't be that.

The virus idea however surprising that would be - as while I get online for updates with this machine rarely and only for updates ...and it had been a while since I had done so when this sloboot syndrome appeared - will have to be investigated and i'll go to McAfee and do what you suggested.

As I'm much better acquainted with macs, does one of you know of a "system tools" type of app that is better than Norton...disk doctor without the long term inconvenients?
    (I'm running XP, is there something in there that can scan the system for health?

thanks again.

B

Martin & others,

Many thanks for your suggestions - one of which has put me on to a solution that works in my case and, bludog, this may be helpful to you as well.

In addition to the really slow boot up times - 5 min avg. in my case - I had noticed that open folders (and sub folders) in Quicksound's "Folder Tree View" window - the one on the far left of QuickSound's windows - were *very* slow to close. So yesterday I had a performance up and decided to close all of those folders & subs, so that I was only seeing the root drives (C:\xxx, E:\xxx, F:\xxx, etc.) Once they finally did close - about 3-4 minutes - I saved that performance and noticed that it saved *much* quicker than it had been doing. When I came back later (after a restart) and reopened that performance, it booted in just over a minute! So, I shut down GS3, and rebooted the app and - sure 'nuff - it was up and ready in about 70 seconds!

So, at least in my case, it was leaving those folders & subfolders open (in the "Folders Tree View") when shutting down that was causing my very long boot ups.

bill
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Thanks a lot for this.
    I'll experiment tomorrow and in fact it quite strangely makes sense as a principle...

It seems TASCAM should be made aware of this.

B

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers

So, at least in my case, it was leaving those folders & subfolders open (in the "Folders Tree View") when shutting down that was causing my very long boot ups.

bill

YES!
    This was a real factor for me too.
    Definitely worth setting up in one's "Default Perf".
    Thank you.
    B

Go Back to forum