• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: O Come, All Ye Faithful (w/new GPO update)

Share/Bookmark

O Come, All Ye Faithful (w/new GPO update)

I am still learning how to use this incredible program.

This was written in Finale 2005 (no human playback), saved as a midi file and then imported in Sonar 4 to add some Lexicon reverb.

http://davemorehead.com/O_Come_All_Ye_Faithful.mp3

I fixed the link.
    Last edited by DavidMorehead; 11-26-2004 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Link not working

Re: O Come, All Ye Faithful (w/new GPO update)

there's something wrong with the link?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Maybe you misspelled something? Try cutting and pasting the filename. I go nuts typing links. they always look right but they never are.

Talking Re: O Come, All Ye Faithful (w/new GPO update)

It works now.

Well, that was worth the wait!! The second verse with the strings, flute and harp is especially nice. And the trumpet counterpoint at the end- terrific. The whole arrangement is wonderful!!

This update everyone is talking about....? sorry to ask but, I don't know where to get it. Is it on the Garritan website? Sorry to go off thread.

I love this piece, I can't get enough of seasonal music. I'm doing a version of The First Noel. Too late for the CD but I hope to post it soon.

Chiseen

Thumbs up Re: O Come, All Ye Faithful (w/new GPO update)

The intro - the brass sounded little synthy.
    1st verse - very nice instrumentation, what strange instrument (perc.) is playing with the brass?
    2nd verse - again nice instrumentation and very nice harp ornamentation however I don't think it will be noticable in live performance, maybe double it with some other instruments?
    3rd verse - Man, how in earth did you get that trumpet sound? It was so real sounding! Didn't hurt that the trumpet ornaments were very good!

Ok, now what I would suggest is to connect the verses more by overlapping some voices. You will get more flow into the arrangement. Also you could use a little bit of the trumpet voice in 3rd verse to make more interesting intro. And maybe create a little coda in the end.

I want some more reverb! This would be played in churches and they have, or should have, good acoustics!

Very good job - and please let us know how to get such great trumpet sound!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiseen
    This update everyone is talking about....? sorry to ask but, I don't know where to get it. Is it on the Garritan website? Sorry to go off thread.

I love this piece, I can't get enough of seasonal music. I'm doing a version of The First Noel. Too late for the CD but I hope to post it soon.

Chiseen
    David the piece is real nice, but there is definately a reverb setting problem. I have a suggestion for you to try, and then repost. The reverb time needs to be increased by at least 2.0 seconds and then turn down the reverb volume. The amount of "wetness" that you have chosen is fine, but because the reverb time is too short, you have to crank the level of it. When there is a cutoff of all instruments, the reverb dies away way too quick. Try it out. Great job!
    I bet next year there will be a double CD set.

here you go Chiseen
    update

Thanks DPDAN. I knew there was a problem but I didn't know what to do to solve it. I will fix it and repost.

The trumpet on verse three is the Piccolo trumpet sound with vibrato. It is outstanding! I had to come up with a way to use it!

The GPO update is on the home page of the website. It didn't see it myself until someone else mentioned on this forum. The new sounds are wonderful.

I agree that the trumpets on the first verse sound synthy. I had them sounding better before. I don't know why they don't sound as good now. I will experiment with them to see if I can get better results.

Falcon,

The reason I have the bells playing in the first chorus is to make the track easier to follow. I work on a cruise ship and I am making a CD for our brass section to play with in our ship's Centrum area. It is 10 decks high with everyone leaning over to watch us on deck 4. Last year we had a hard time hearing the melody because everyone was singing pretty loud. We got off by a beat now and then! Very Scary!!!

I though the bells would cut through better and we would be able to follow the CD better.

Thanks for your feedback! It really helps me! I am new to this so any help you guys can give me is most appreciated.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast