• Register
  • Help

Topic: Machinima - A New Way of Making Films

Orcas Island

Cool Machinima - A New Way of Making Films

One of our GPO Users told me about a new new filmaking medium called "Machinima". Making animated movies is now as easy as playing interactive games—literally. A popular technique called machinima (machine and cinema) uses software from popular interactive computer games to record and make animated films. Many aspiring filmakers may now be one step closer to making the movies of their dreams.

Previously, the process of making an animated film usually required many man-hours and expensive specialized software. But a new trend is breaking away from the traditional rules of animated film-making.

Image-generating engines in animated computer games have become much more sophisticated. Some intereactive games, such as Quake, even allow users to create new scenes and customize existing ones. Character generation and movement is also sophisticated in many games allowing total control over visual representation of characters, scenes, actions, events, etc. Machinima allows you to record those interactive gaming events in real-time and use them in a film. It makes for a very cost-efficient and time-saving way to make animated films, with a large amount of creative control.

Machinima is filmmaking within a real-time, 3D virtual environment. According to the machinima website: "It is the convergence of filmmaking, animation and game development. Machinima is real world filmmaking techniques applied within an interactive virtual space where characters and events can be either controlled by humans, scripts or artificial intelligence." For information see http://www.machinima.org/

Although Machinima is in its infancy stage, the phenomena is expected to keep growing and the potential is enormous. There's a Machinima Film Festival, Machinima Awards, and an exploding grass-roots community. Also, as graphic cards and hardware-rendering becomes more powerful, Machinima films will become even more popular.

One of our GPO Users is working in the Machinima medium. Just think, in the future you may be able to make the movie of your dreams using just Machinima and GPO.

Gary Garritan

Re: Machinima - A New Way of Making Films

YES! I saw one of these a few months ago. I think it was based on one of the first person shoot-em-ups (like Quake or Unreal Tournament) and it was hilarious! They had somehow scripted all the movements of the little "people" and it told the story of a red dude and a blue dude and they come upon this battlefield of dead blue dudes and they can't figure out what has happened. All of a sudden all the blue dudes come to life (re-spawn) and rush onto the red area and the red dudes come out of nowhere and a huge battle ensues (with the two main characters right in the middle).

It was actually quite interesting and funny at the same time. Cool idea!
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Re: Machinima - A New Way of Making Films

Well... This isn't exactly new if you ask my personal opinion. The demoscene has more-or-less been doing this sort of thing for almost two decades. Admittedly only a small percentage of demos contain coherent "plots", but it's still all realtime animation in one form or another.

For example:

Go Back to forum