• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale HP Custom -- what do you use?

Share/Bookmark

Finale HP Custom -- what do you use?

While an old hand at Finale (from the beginning) I am new to the HP facet of the program.

I've started playing around with the custom box (somewhere somebody mentioned only using only 'automatic expression' and I've tried that) -- not bad -- it made things a little warmer. But I lost my arpeggiated symbol's playback function. I tried including the various obvious check boxes --i.e. B. ornaments and trills -- in fact all the others -- except hairpins and dynamics -- they screw up things too much IMO. But that playback function seems to be gone.

The slurs seem not to work for me -- at least with the strings.

Another thing - I am saving these functions with a play file and then when I load the file I turn off the HP.

I guess what I'm asking is do you save HP with the play file or add it on to a play file with no HP?

Anything else anybody wants to talk about WR to HP. Please do.

By the by the spell checker here is atrocious -- it has problems with 'arpeggiated'!?

Thanx
    Jerry

Re: Finale HP Custom -- what do you use?

Jerry,

Currently HP does not interpret slurs by using sustain pedal midi data, which is how the strings, reeds and brass play legato in GPO. I make a second copy of my score for playback purposes. I create text expressions with sustain pedal off/on data and by using a meta-tools I add those commands wherever slurs occur.

I pretty sure the human playback preferences are not file specific and are not saved with each file.

JT

Gerald,

I would suggest posing this question on the Finale Forum - you should get an answer from Robert Piechard who created "Human Playback" and knows more than most.

Hi Jerry,

While an old hand at Finale (from the beginning) I am new to the HP facet of the program.
    Which version of Finale are you using? 2004?, 2005?, 2005a?

But I lost my arpeggiated symbol's playback function.
    Are you meaning playback-defined articulations? There was a problem in Fin2005 that was corrected in Fin2005a. That might do the trick.

The slurs seem not to work for me -- at least with the strings.
    Currently, HP plays slurs back using note overlap, not Sustain Pedal. This is on my list...

Anything else anybody wants to talk about WR to HP. Please do.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is WR?

I'd be happy to anwers more specifically if you can provide with more details.

Best,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Jerry,

Currently HP does not interpret slurs by using sustain pedal midi data, which is how the strings, reeds and brass play legato in GPO. I make a second copy of my score for playback purposes. I create text expressions with sustain pedal off/on data and by using a meta-tools I add those commands wherever slurs occur.

I pretty sure the human playback preferences are not file specific and are not saved with each file.

JT
    Interesting -- so in the case for strings the sustain lengthens notes but not for too long? Do you put the Sus Ped (controller) to 127 or half down?
    i guess I'll play around a bit.

WR (with regards - Robert) save HP -- the upshot is they can't be saved?

Thanx

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Hi Jerry,

Which version of Finale are you using? 2004?, 2005?, 2005a?
    I'm on 2005a Robert --

[/QUOTE]
    Are you meaning playback-defined articulations? There was a problem in Fin2005 that was corrected in Fin2005a. That might do the trick.[/QUOTE]

In the articulation tool the arpeg. symbol set for playback. At this point I just wrote in the arpeg. to get around the nonplay aspect (only a few to do) but I have places where it is used much more extensively. I think I can safely say it still doesn't playback in 2005a

[/QUOTE]
    Currently, HP plays slurs back using note overlap, not Sustain Pedal. This is on my list...[/QUOTE]

I'll play around with this.

[/QUOTE]
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is WR?[/QUOTE]

With regards...

[/QUOTE]

Best,
    Robert[/QUOTE]

Thank you Robert -- I'll try not to waste your time with the small stuff.

Yours,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Berg
    I'm on 2005a Robert --
    Are you meaning playback-defined articulations? There was a problem in Fin2005 that was corrected in Fin2005a. That might do the trick.[/QUOTE]

In the articulation tool the arpeg. symbol set for playback. At this point I just wrote in the arpeg. to get around the nonplay aspect (only a few to do) but I have places where it is used much more extensively. I think I can safely say it still doesn't playback in 2005a

[/QUOTE]
    Currently, HP plays slurs back using note overlap, not Sustain Pedal. This is on my list...[/QUOTE]

I'll play around with this.

[/QUOTE]
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is WR?[/QUOTE]

With regards...

[/QUOTE]

Best,
    Robert[/QUOTE]

Thank you Robert -- I'll try not to waste your time with the small stuff.

Yours,
    Jerry[/QUOTE]

Obviously I'll have to improve my quoting technique!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Hi Jerry,

Currently, HP plays slurs back using note overlap, not Sustain Pedal. This is on my list...

Best,
    Robert
    Just a quick play around with this idea and i still can't get slurred strings.
    I used my plain old l.v. with 127 sus. and n.v. 0 sus..

Does this mean I should get playback without HP or do I include a check mark in the ped. box in HP?

Either way i couldn't get it to work.

Thank you for your time.

Jerry

Go Back to forum