• Register
  • Help

Topic: It's Not Unusual for GPO to be Heard at a Tom Jones Concert

Share/Bookmark

It's Not Unusual for GPO to be Heard at a Tom Jones Concert

Tom Jones sung to a sold-out concert at Irving Plaza in New York last week. Tom Jones was backed by a very tight, seven-piece band (including a three-piece horn section with a great bari sax). The band was led by our own bmonroney (an active member of the forum) who has been with Tom Jones for thirteen years.

Last week I got a chance to hear the band rehearse at Irving Plaza. Great songs were played - some of the pop hits that Tom Jones is famous for, as well as rock tunes and a number of less-expected numbers.

Frank Tom Strauss, Jones keybaordist, has GPO loaded in a G4 rack-mounted tower and uses a Kurzweil keyboard to trigger the sounds.

It was surprising for a Tom Jones concert to take place at such a cozy and intimate place as Irving Plaza. The three-level auditorium is an old ball-room style place that is covered with red wallpaper and lavish ornamentation. The club's main level boasts a big stage and a long bar in the rear. The lounge areas and balconies have funky red sofas and booths.

The three-story, 1,000-seat Irving Plaza has had a florid history. It served as Polish Army Veterans headquarters, a Yiddish theater, a dance hall, a burlesque house (Gypsy Rose Lee did her act there), an off-Broadway theater, and even a boxing arena. Now a live music venue, Irving Plaza it is regarded as one of the prime venues in the northeast, ideal for well-known acts seeking an intimate venue with their audience, or for smaller artists seeking to advance to the big time. Big-name acts (U2, Moby, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, to name a few) have performed there. Sound is excellent, Irving Plaza is regarded as one of the best sounding mid-sized venues in the city and there isn't a bad sightline in the house.

At the rehearsal, Brian was kind enough to point out the new aggressive GPO strings in "Delilah". During the break Brian and I went to a pizzeria on 14th Street (the best zeppolis ). While there, a posse of fans were there who traveled all the way from Aberdeen Scotland just to see Tom Jones!

Oh, and the panty-throwing report at the Tom Jones concert , we'll let Brian tell about that.

Gary Garritan

Re: It's Not Unusual for GPO to be Heard at a Tom Jones Concert

Awesome. It goes to show that GPO is really a highly professional tool yet with a very remarkable price tag.

When I first got this I couldn't believe the quality of the solo instruments, especially the Stradivaris violin. I thought the quality of that violin was worth the price alone, yet I got the entire orchestra!

Keep up the good work Gary! Hope that Big Band is coming along well...

Cheers
    Ben

Every time I hear about Tom Jones I picture Carlton character from Fresh Prince of Bellair doing his dance to "It's Not Unusual To Be Loved By Anyone"!

GPO with a big name. Just the beginning, only the beginning. Only just the start. Da da da da dat ta daaaaaa! Chicago horn section? Nice try....
    Styxx

Gary, just to clarify, we actually have a four-piece horn section (two trumpets, trombone and tenor/bari sax) + 3 singers; 11 musicians in all. Maybe one of the guys was hiding when you dropped by.

The panty yield from Irving Plaza was pretty good. Not spectacular, but solid. We're currently at Chicago House of Blues and the local crew has adorned their water cooler with very large festive leopard-spotted bra tossed on stage by one of the fans.

Brian

Forgot to mention the backup singers and missed a trumpeter while being totally mesmorized by the bari-sax player.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamind
    Awesome. It goes to show that GPO is really a highly professional tool yet with a very remarkable price tag.

When I first got this I couldn't believe the quality of the solo instruments, especially the Stradivaris violin. I thought the quality of that violin was worth the price alone, yet I got the entire orchestra!

Keep up the good work Gary! Hope that Big Band is coming along well...

Cheers
    Ben
    Yes! I heard that patch on one of the demos from a GPO user on this forum and it sounded as good as Hillary Hahn from The Village soundtrack. Very impressive indeed!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

mmmmm. panties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    mmmmm. panties.

Go Back to forum