• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Getting the piano sound as heard by the player. Saki soaked wooden cones?

Share/Bookmark

Getting the piano sound as heard by the player. Saki soaked wooden cones?

Will we come closer and closer to getting the same sound that we hear when we sit at the piano? With good monitors with big cones, and more velocity layers, a piano recorded from the player's position should sound a lot like what the player hears, yes?

What is missing to achieve this? Very large speakers, possibly with the wooden saki-soaked cones that are now out, so we really are hearing wood vibrate? Several more mics and a "surround sound" arrangement, but with the speakers all placed facing the player?

Ideally, would a piano cabinet be needed, with the strings close mic'ed at 8'' or so, so the physical instrument vibrated from the recordings in the same way that a real piano vibrated from striking the strings?

(Some of the sampled pianos I have already approach this sound: the Gigfiles, the Trachtman, possibly because they seem to have more of each note's overtones recorded.)

Has anyone tried the new speakers with wooden cones for piano samples? I could imagine them making a big difference. Or do you have to drink the saki, too, to hear the difference?

Re: Getting the piano sound as heard by the player. Saki soaked wooden cones?

Someone could do a binaural piano library, with the mics located precisely where the players ears would be in a dummy head or sphere. When listened back to with headphones this can provide a remarkably realistic experience, since all the 3D spatial cues are recreated for the listener.

Or yeah, drinking the saki is probably good too.

There are at least two sample sets that were recorded this way--the VRSound pianos and the Vintaudio Uprights. The VRSound set is looped, though.

In any event, I do want to hear impressions of how the wood cones sound, particularly for sampled instruments that have a wood soundboard, like pianos and guitars.

Sigh
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Why sigh?

Well, that's what I tried to achieve with the player perspective in my Ultimate Yamaha C7 collection, a stereo mic was positionned exactly at the height a player's ears would be, I'm really happy with the results, placing studio monitors a few feet and at that height should yield good results.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio
    www.vintaudio.com

I agree. the Vintaudio C7 player perspective sounds like the piano really is there under your hands. To my big surprise, it beats the Black Grand or many many other piano libraries. In my personal opinion Franky is the best sample lib developer and looking forward to see other products from his company. ( Maybe he'll sample a Fazioli grand one day ? )

Why sigh?
    Because if you all are so obsessed with getting a realistic piano sound, so obsessed in fact to resort to exotic recording methods, wooden cones, or even soundboard shaped cabinets.....why don't you just buy a frekkin real piano already? It'll probably end up being a cheaper solution in the long run!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Because if you all are so obsessed with getting a realistic piano sound, so obsessed in fact to resort to exotic recording methods, wooden cones, or even soundboard shaped cabinets.....why don't you just buy a frekkin real piano already? It'll probably end up being a cheaper solution in the long run!
    Well said!

I'm not trying to sound harsh but I wasn't sure whether that business with the wooden cones was a joke or not!

Seriously though, what's the point in all of this? No one to my knowledge has come close to a mathematical model that even remotely approaches modelling all the myriad of intricate interactions that take place in a piano. Until that is cracked, it is pointless going for some snake oil hybrid wooden cone multi speaker piano shaped replay system just to emulate what already exists and is the real thing.

Mark

Go Back to forum