• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vanity Publishing....

Share/Bookmark

Vanity Realisation

Vanity Realisation...have your work performed by an actual orchestra....

Following some posting on the Virtual orchestras banned and the 'Channel 4 tonight - Greatest Composers of 20st Century concerning the impact of technology on work for real musicians, and then looking at the 'Group Buys (I'm fighting a loosing battle with Gold lust)- particularly Gary's 'sticky' (no innuendo intended)' it struck me with the thought of combining these and solving the orchestral musician's employment problem...well at least the cheaper ones....I mean business is business.... isn't it my American cousins .....you know;....'free' market and all that.....

How about paying real musicians to realise your compositions!!!

Vanity Publishing is a flourishing business....this is where you write a book (and who doesn't these days?) and you get a (slightly less than scrupulous) publisher to publish a run for you and you only have to pay so many dollars for the honour. The publisher's happy, the writer's happy at having his book 'published' and only their family, friends and relatives are unhappy as they are expected to read them... but who cares about family, relatives and friends anyway?

It happens in other fields too. I'm thinking of the 'patenting ideas' business (racket?) There are many patent lawyers who are only too happy to patent your idea knowing perfectly well that hell will freeze over before they will see the light of day. In a similar way to book publishing ,everyone is satiated.

I'm sure there are other examples of this too, with people with artistic leanings paying to have their output presented to the 'public' even if the 'fan base' is actually a 'friend base' (OK so it costs a bit...so what)! Hands up those of you who haven't paid for a video of their beautiful young daughter prancing around on the stage in some production or other?

So this is the idea then, set up a business (unfortunately it won't be with a USA or European orchestra (too expensive!) to do just this. Maybe it could be extended so that you could make a concert of yours and other pieces and have it professionally videod......(dvd'd)...and everyones happy again. Speak to Gary G...he already has the contacts with the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra!

It's like the Soviets selling fighter aircraft plane rides....my doctor (for example) goes over to Poland for a holiday where he gets to drive a steam locomotive (train uk)...on second thoughts it's not like this at all....

I bet 'Peter269' is the sort of bloke who could do this....I would think....it might just work. I'm certainly vain enough to be interested.

Remember, you heard it here first!!

Frank

Re: Vanity Publishing....

Well, it is available. The Slovanic Radio Orchestra.

For so much money, they will rehearse and record your piece and make a CD of it.

I met Jeff Hitt 1 and 1/2 years ago and that is how he made a CD of his "Yellowstone" piece. 40 minutes of music for orchestra and solo violin, played and recorded by the Slovanic Radio Orchestra (spelling??). I believe it cost $15,000 where it would have cost him 3 to 8 times that amount for a major US or British orchestra to perform. I have the CD and the quality is good.

Now, $15,000 is a lot of money, so I'm not saying that it is within all of our budget,.... I'm just saying that it is less than most quality orchestras would charge.

And, most of us cannot afford that.

And that brings us back to sample playing software. Can this software be improved to make realistic and satisfying CD's for sale and listening? I don't know.... I'm just now starting into this business and very slowly.

Are there an entrapreneurs out there who would set up a system, that for so much money (less than above) they would spend 10 - 20, even 30 hours setting up some ones large orchestral work (or small chamber work, for that matter), render it through a sample playback engine, sequence it to perfection, mix and master it and made a CD for sale..... as a line of work?

There could be a market out there!

Davd

(I still like the idea of a regular orchestra... but, it costs more money...)

Re: Vanity Publishing....

OK then, here's another twist! How about having the composition professionally sequenced using the best samples and having the orchestra mime the parts in the sense that the audio from this wouldn't be used. The audience could be digitally superimposed and with various cutting onto various parts of the audience to break up the miming....just thoughts....Like, I mean, you know... if you can just impress the neighbours......

Frank

Go Back to forum