• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What books/magazines on music do you recommend?

Share/Bookmark

What books/magazines on music do you recommend?

Hello everyone!

I 'm looking for some suggestions on good resources for a student media composer like myself. Some topic ideas include orchestration, ear training, recording/mixing, music business/job texts, inspirational texts, etc.

Some resources that I already own and recommend are "On the Track,” (GREAT BOOK!) the "reel world" book by Jeff Rona, as well as Electronic musician, and keyboard magazine subscriptions.

I’m looking forward to your replies!

-Jon Timpe
    http://www.avartists.com

Re: What books/magazines on music do you recommend?

For theory there are the books of Arnold Schoenberg

Richard Davis - Complete Guide to Film Scoring, the title says it all. Information about the film-making process, film scoring and the business aspect of the art.

Samuel Adler - The Study of Orchestration 3rd edition, superb book on orchestration, has some minor mistakes as do all the other orchestration books.

Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov - Principles of Orchestration, a good read as it's written by a major composer but not as generally recommendable as the Adler's book.

Sound on Sound, excellent audio magazine with possibility for electronic subscribing.

I've been getting Sound-on-Sound for over two years now and find it very interesting and certainly in-depth. But they speak of a lot of techniques that I cannot understand. Lots of jargon.

Is there any book to explain the process of sequencers, mixers, mastering, and the art of perfecting a sound recording?

I saw some titles at Musicbooksplus and other resources... but which to buy?

David

Sound on Sound is meant for the people who have already read those books. There isn't an easy way to understanding all that but there are ways that aren't too hard. I don't know of a suitable book even if there might be many. I've found my ways with experimenting and can't recommend that way enough. With reading books you can know things but you will never really understand them. The best approach might be getting a couple of good books, the necessary tools at hand and an experienced friend with nerves of steel.

Wink Re: What books/magazines on music do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    I've found my ways with experimenting and can't recommend that way enough. With reading books you can know things but you will never really understand them.
    I'm a physician. I'm glad that the medical profession doesn't give that advice.

In all seriousness, I wish that someone would write a book.

David

Hearing and Writing Music (Ron Gorow) is great whatever your level.

For basic harmony/theory, I like the Wyatt/Schroeder Musicians' Institute book. For more detail, check Mark Harrison's books/CDs.

Nigel

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations. Sorry for the delay in my response (finals week next week), so once this semester is done I will have more time to research your suggested reading further.

In the mean time, I was curious if there are any books out there that are specifically geared towards getting the most realistic MIDI mockups. I've read a few articles from EM and Keyboard on the subject, but wonder if there is any comprehensive resource for MIDI tricks and Mixing tips besides a firm knowledge of Orchestration (I do own the Adler Orchestration book w/ accompanying CD's: HIGHLY recommended!!

I do have a basic knowledge of concepts, so is Sound on Sound or Mix mag my best option? How about any good film scoring mags? Any other resources that are worth a look?

Thanks again for all your help! Happy Holidays
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    In the mean time, I was curious if there are any books out there that are specifically geared towards getting the most realistic MIDI mockups.
    I just ordered "The Guide to MIDI Orchestration" as I could get it for decent price with no shipping costs as I was already ordering something else. It should cover the basics but I don't know whether it includes anything special. I could comment about it after I receive the book. I'm somewhat experienced in MIDI orchestration and I'm not expecting much from it, still it can be a good read.

I do have a basic knowledge of concepts, so is Sound on Sound or Mix mag my best option? How about any good film scoring mags? Any other resources that are worth a look?
    Sound on Sound has nice tutorials on all kinds of things. The online subscription is great as you don't have to pay too much for getting the paper version to your home country but instead you have a searchable version including all SOS issues so far.

Berklee Press has some good books on studio production and one on film composing. I've been taking their "Style Writing" workshop (12 styles in 12 weeks; a bit intense at times) and have gotten a lot out of it. This is an online course; my classmates are in Singapore, India, NYC ....
    Berklee offers at least one online course in studio production, and also has some good books on the topic.

Sound on Sound is my go-to source for gear reviews -- I dropped my EM and Keyboard subscriptions after e-subscribing to SOS (but may yet resubscribe to Keyboard....). Much better signal-to-noise in SOS than in US music magazines.

Some short books on orchestration: Arranging Techniques for Synthesists (written in the late 80's, but still relevant), Arranging Music for the Real World. The Complete Guide to Film Scoring (Berklee Press) is worth a look. Modern Jazz Voicings and Jazz Composition (two books by Ted Pease et al, Berklee Press) are good.

I haven't read the MI Press book by Carl Schroeder etc. on harmony, but it's probably excellent -- I studied with Carl many years ago. I also like "Harmonic Experience" by W.A. Mathieu; a very different approach to deeply learning harmony, involving hands-ears-mind-body.

I use Sonar as my primary sequencer: Craig Anderton and Scott Garrigus both write good books on it.

Chambermusic: Craig's book on 'Mixing and Mastering with Sonar 3" is quite good, and not really too specific to Sonar. Bob Katz's book 'Mastering Audio' is probably the best book on mastering audio (and generally understanding technology for audio, from the viewpoint of a practitioner).

- Jim

Go Back to forum