• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help putting together a GPO system

Share/Bookmark

Help putting together a GPO system

Okay, I need to put together a system that would be used as a backup system for running GPO and Sonar 4. Price is really important because, since it's a backup system, the budget is tight. My boss asked whether the following system, with an additional 512MB of RAM added and an Audiophile 2496 soundcard, would be sufficient. Please let me know your thought and whether you know of better alternatives.

eMachines T3256
    Price:$599

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+ Processor
    QuantiSpeed™ Architecture operates at 2.200 GHz
    512KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition 1
    Chipset: nVIDIA® nForce™2
    Memory: 512 MB DDR (PC 2700)
    Hard Drive: 160 GB HDD (7200 RPM) 2
    Optical Drives: DVD +/- RW Drive (Write Max: 8x DVD+/-R, 4x DVD+/-RW, 32x CD-R, 16x CD-RW; Reads 40x CD, 12x DVD); 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive
    Media Reader: 8-in-1 Digital Media Manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
    Video: nVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)
    Sound: nForce™ 6-channel Audio
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
    Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Peripherals: Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
    Dimensions: 7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d
    Internet: AOL Membership Included (Additional phone charges may apply. Click here for details.)
    Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
    Pre-Installed Software: Microsoft Works 7.0 1, Microsoft Money 2004, Microsoft Picture It! Standard Edition, Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, Nero 6 Suite, PowerDVD, Internet Explorer, CompuServe®, Norton AntiVirus 2004 (90 day complimentary subscription), BigFix®

Re: Help putting together a GPO system

Quote Originally Posted by Per Lichtman
    Okay, I need to put together a system that would be used as a backup system for running GPO and Sonar 4. Price is really important because, since it's a backup system, the budget is tight. My boss asked whether the following system, with an additional 512MB of RAM added and an Audiophile 2496 soundcard, would be sufficient. Please let me know your thought and whether you know of better alternatives.

Sounds pretty good to me, except that I am not at all familiar with eMachine.
    The added RAM and sound card seem essential. The price makes me want to got out and buy one right now, but I have some expenses coming up soon.

The Nero included will be somewhat stripped down version, but which ought to handle backups and burning jobs.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    The added RAM and sound card are essential.
    Per,
    I'm with Richard (hi Richard) on both of these things. I have the same processor, XP (Pro in my case not much practical difference except for networking) and use GPO and SONAR 4 PE. It's a great system.

I have, and would recommend, 2GB total ram (1.5 would do) if you're planning on loading many voices. It's easy to eat up 1 GB, especially if you load the piano. You need to have some available memory for doing other things while GPO is loaded.
    Bill

Per,

the specs look good to me (and so does the price!). I little more RAM (from Crucial.com) and a decent soundcard and you're good to go.

Gary Garritan

Unless you want to use Giga at some point then the Creative/EMU 0404 is hard to beat for quality/value. The audio converters are better than the audiophile (it is said...certainly great spec) it's dirt cheap, and it's got hardware effects so that you can hear everything wet (if you wish) without overloading the seepy you. EMU recently released new software for the hardware effects processor (I read).

Frank

Thanks for the feedback. The last couple months have left me more DAW frusterated than I thought possible. :-) I got both my DAWs back from repairs a few weeks ago and the repairs were, apparently, not entirely succesful. As such, I currently have no reliable DAW at all. My usual primary system is having massive issues with the soundcard and I won't know for another day whether a defrag. will even help. With the amount of authorizations required, doing a format isn't an attractive option. All that, and I've got a film score (12 min horror film) I'm supposed to have completed within the next three weeks, preferrably by midway next week. In addition, I recently found out that there's an unexpected scheduling conflict that will prevent me from attending NAMM this year.

What was my point? Sorry about all that. I guess I was going to say that any system I buy has to have Giga compatibility because there's a fairly good chance that, in addition to whatever else it does, it will end up taking on Giga duties when another system has issues like this. I switched away from Creative back in 2002 because of their lack of GSIF support. But other than that the card does lack attractive indeed, though I don't need the wet previewing capabilities etc.

*Sigh.* Well, I guess another 1-2K investment to try and maintain composition capabilities in a worst case scenario doesn't seem so bad given that I'm currently frusterated by approximately 10K investment so far (but that's software and hardware combined.)

The good news, and this does help me look up a bit, is that I've already ordered GPO. I'm looking forward to getting to enjoy more of Gary's work.

Go Back to forum