• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Strauss Waltz

Share/Bookmark

A Strauss Waltz

I've just completed "Artist's Life" by Johann Strauss, entirely with GPO instruments. The whole thing lasts over 10 minutes, but here's an extract.

I had a lot of fun playing with the tempo a bit, as the Vienna Philharmonic do..

Terry Dwyer

Re: A Strauss Waltz

Terry, that was swell, and unlike in my (hangs head in shameful gratitude) last demo, there are no wrong notes.

Wish you could find it in your heart and your bandwidth to post the whole thing. I just got up to dance and it was over.

Karl

Thumbs up Re: A Strauss Waltz

This is one of the all time great waltzes of musical history! I was wondering when someone would get around to it. Nicely programmed and performed! Darn, it sounds so natural and musical! Did this take a lot of editing to achieve such a performance level of realism?
    I agree with Karl. It would be nice to heat the completed work.
    Thanks for posting, and quite nicely orchestrated!
    Styxx

OK, guys; in response to your overwhelming demand, I have put up the whole piece here.

No, it did not take a lot of editing, just a lot of time - there are quite a few notes in a 10-minute piece! The chief editing problem was zooming the mod wheel quickly enough when going from p to f from one beat to the next. It was all too easy to catch the end of the quiet note. I played it in at MM 130 and the basic final speed is c. 160.

I did the whole recording (in Sonar) in one take, with no sub-recordings first. This doesn't always come off, but it did this time.

Terry

Terry,

I totally agree with the others, beautifully put together and so natural sounding...not over produced. Just the right amount of roughness to give it this natural edge which is very satisfying to listen to. For example the Tuba which poops just a little too loudly at 21s... just what you'd hear in a live situation. (now don't change it!!) You've got the ears Terry. I just love the way you've done the drumming too.

It is a pleasant surprise to hear something a little different and I always enjoy a Strouse Walls . The last time I remember trying to play 'Artist's Life' was as a schoolboy!
    It's very easy to picture yourself sitting in front of a small orchestra listening to the real thing. Very well done indeed.

Regards

Frank

PS A lot of great stuff from everyone tonight...that's why I keep returning in the hope of hearing creations like this.

Well Hurrah for Terry! Its about time someone posted a waltz demo. I love the sound of a waltz for some reason. Loved it. Makes me wish I had finished the one I was doing. Ah, no matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Terry,

Just the right amount of roughness to give it this natural edge which is very satisfying to listen to. For example the Tuba which poops just a little too loudly at 21s... just what you'd hear in a live situation. (now don't change it!!)
    Frank
    Not sure what you mean by roughness, Frank. Do you mean imbalance of volume? It isn't the tuba at 21s, it is cellos and basses, reinforced by 2 bassoons and a horn. I did think it a little loud, but decided to leave it. So what I did was respect the composer's intentions, which is all I ever try to do in a musical performance. If that comes over as rough, have a word with Johann!

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    Not sure what you mean by roughness, Frank. Do you mean imbalance of volume? It isn't the tuba at 21s, it is cellos and basses, reinforced by 2 bassoons and a horn. I did think it a little loud, but decided to leave it. So what I did was respect the composer's intentions, which is all I ever try to do in a musical performance. If that comes over as rough, have a word with Johann!

Terry
    I mean it doesn't sound like a computer piece....relax!

Frank

Terry,

This is one of my favorite waltzes. Beautifully done and well orchestrated. I does sound natural.

Thanks for posting this and I have a hunch that this will find its way to the GPO demo page.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum