• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Cuckolds all a Row" (English country dance)

Share/Bookmark

"Cuckolds all a Row" (English country dance)

I kind of like the way this one turned out; it's my arrangement of an English country dance melody.

Cuckolds All A Row (MP3, 1.67 MB)

I know it's a bit repetitive (okay, it's very repetitive), but that's English country dances for you.

Suggestions for improvement are most welcome.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: "Cuckolds all a Row" (English country dance)

Like I said, I have such a weakness for early music and GPO seems to do it very well! Thoughts? Only that maybe the strings could be mixed up a tad, and at least a touch of room ambiance would be nice. I love it!!

Not bad at all!

The only nitpick I would make, and I REALLY hesitate to make it, is that the bass should keep on rolling instead of sharing the rhythm with the rest of the instruments occasionally. Kind of hard to explain without the score.

Great arrangement, keep up the good work!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

so english folk music with gpo now.
    i liked it.
    i see what jess is saying about the bass but i've always thought that it is just that sort of jerky rhythm that gives english dances their character, you know all that hitting each other with sticks and handkerchiefs on the village green.
    nicely done hope to hear more.

slán

mick ó c

It seems to have disappeared. Perhaps your server is temporarily down . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

You did really well with this Jeff. Forget the goddam score...this is just perfect.....This is exactly how it sounds in real life. How do I know?

I can prove it as I visited the Wimborne Folk festival ( I work in Wimborne...only 4 miles from home) a few months ago and this could, absolutely, have come from this.....no exaggeration. Just perfect! Your wind arrangement even overcomes the absence of the melodeons. Double click on the pictures in the first link below and you'll see how your backward, inbred, island folk cousins live.....Deliverance....watch out!

http://www.imagesofdorset.org.uk/Dorset/080/intro.htm

If you look carefully you might be able to see me. Well you would if I had been in the shots.......or maybe I am?

http://www.wimbornefolkfestival.co.uk/

All it needs is the smack of the sticks and the jangle of the bells of the Morris Dancers and you'd be transported! Funny enough, with all kinds of music, I love repetition....as long as what is being repeated has a good tune and rythym.

Frank

PS Morris dancing is the only way you can make a fool of yourself in public in England without being arrested. This is why it has persisted for hundreds of years.

I'm joking! I'm joking!. I actually talked to many of the participants this year and the history of Morris and other folk dancing is really interesting. A lot of them travel from all over the country to attend these festivals. The weather was, exceptionally, marvellous over the weekend so it was very pleasant indeed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Thoughts? Only that maybe the strings could be mixed up a tad, and at least a touch of room ambiance would be nice. I love it!!
    Thanks, good point about the strings. There actually is room ambiance in there, an impulse of a 25'-by-18' studio rehearsal space. (Here's a portion of it dry for comparison.) I tried several bigger spaces, but I really liked the intimate sound of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    The only nitpick I would make, and I REALLY hesitate to make it, is that the bass should keep on rolling instead of sharing the rhythm with the rest of the instruments occasionally. Kind of hard to explain without the score.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, so here's the score.

Quote Originally Posted by ailteoir
    nicely done hope to hear more.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    It seems to have disappeared. Perhaps your server is temporarily down . . .
    Yes, there was a problem at my Webhost earlier, but it's fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    If you look carefully you might be able to see me. Well you would if I had been in the shots.......or maybe I am?
    The suspense is killing me... are you? Actually, there are Morris dancers here on this side of the pond too, though it's much less common. I haven't tried it myself, though I know a few who do it.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Thanks, good point about the strings. There actually is room ambiance in there, an impulse of a 25'-by-18' studio rehearsal space. (Here's a portion of it dry for comparison.) I tried several bigger spaces, but I really liked the intimate sound of this one.
    Sho nuff! I just couldn't hear it at low volume. Your quite right of course, it needs to be in a small intimate space. (Or out doors, which still means a dry sound unless you're in a canyon )

Ah yes, this is wonderfully English. Makes me want to get up and dance. Too bad I can't dance. Nice, very nice indeed!
    Styxx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hardy Heern

The suspense is killing me... are you? Actually, there are Morris dancers here on this side of the pond too, though it's much less common. I haven't tried it myself, though I know a few who do it.

Jeff, No I'm not! I'm surprised that they Morris Dance in the US and even more surprised that they might do it in public....that is without being stoned or publically flogged!

Frank

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast