• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Patch list for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Patch list for GPO?

Hello all,
    I have been to the website but I can only find the instrument list. Is there a list of patches available?
    Thanks
    Chris

Trent P. McDonald

Re: Patch list for GPO?

Thats not the patch list is it? Thats just the instrument list. I am interested in seeing the breakdown.
    Chris

I guess I don’t understand. The equipment list is the patch list. What you read here is what you get. There are a couple of things to do with the strings missing in this list, but not much.

There are pizzicato versions of the solo instruments and the section strings.

There are a few (I think 4 or 5) articulations for the section strings but the names don’t really tell you much – I use what’s called “sus&short” for about everything because it can give me pretty much everything available. Would reading the name tell you that?

What breakdown? The solo flute is a solo flute. There is a piccolo – does it matter what the patch name is? There are the three solo violins, as named, and 9 ensemble players based on them. This is all in the list.

I guess I’m the wrong person to answer this since I have no clue what more you want but since nobody else is answering… Maybe somebody else will add what I must be missing...
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by chriscaouette
    Thats not the patch list is it? Thats just the instrument list. I am interested in seeing the breakdown.
    Chris
    Chris,

GPO is not like other libraries. You will not find a collection of articulations per instrument. Instead, it has been programed to give as much expression and instrument control as possible from one single patch... And it works! This approach simplifies and speeds up the sequencing phase a lot.

Anton

Quote Originally Posted by galvedro
    Chris,

GPO is not like other libraries. You will not find a collection of articulations per instrument. Instead, it has been programed to give as much expression and instrument control as possible from one single patch... And it works! This approach simplifies and speeds up the sequencing phase a lot.

Anton
    Ah Ok. I like that idea. Less is more as long as a realistic sound can be achieved. I have several other libraries and I still end up using their x-fade patches the most. GPO sounds like it approaches this how I do.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Anton said it right, but let me try and be a little more detailed about how GPO works. Throw away most of the ideas that GPO is like other sample libraries. It isn't.

I like to think of performing with GPO as having two layers. Layer 1 might be called instrumental techniques. Layer 2 might be called performance techniques.

The instrumental techniques are what you get to work with in GPO. It's helpful to think of instrumental techniques rather than patches. The concept difference is subtle in away, but it is important in the understanding of how GPO works. A flute player plays with vibrato, no vibrato, flutter tones, etc.. These are techniques that are used when actually playing the flute. They are the raw materials we have to work with in GPO. They may also be called patches (for want of a better word), but as you can see, the word doesn’t mean the same thing as it does in a typical sample library.

Performance techniques are things like legato, tonguing, swells, trills, etc. These techniques are controlled by using combinations of the mod wheel, sustain pedal and velocity. These midi controls have differing affects with each instrument.

If you have reasonable keyboard skills there is only a very small learning curve to play the GPO instruments live with great realism. If you are like me and your keyboard skills are lacking, it is a rather simple task to draw these performances into any good DAW.

Well, that's about it. GPO has three distinguishing characteristics, its ease of use, its realism to an actual orchestra, (not some beefed up Hollywood version) and it’s low price. Go for it. You won’t be sorry.

Karl

If I may add my perspective. I have never had any music training except three months of piano at age seven, and had never used anything midi up until April of this year when I bought GPO. It is extremely expressive, and can sound very real in the right hands. It was incredibly easy to learn.
    I love it!
    DPDan

FYI...you can also draw info in the supplied Overture SE!

I guess I did misunderstand. I was right about one thing - other people were able to tell you what I was missing.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum