• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio and Terratec EWS88D und Win XP

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Gigastudio and Terratec EWS88D und Win XP

Hi!

Anyone out there who is using a Terratec EWS88D Soundcard and working with Gigastudio? My problem is that the "GSIF/ASIO multi-client" mode is not working under XP so after opening Gigastudio all other ports are blocked as well. Any experience is welcome.

Regards, Peter

Re: Gigastudio and Terratec EWS88D und Win XP

ditch the Terratec card, it doesn't support bouncing your audio or GSIF2 either.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...light=Terratec

Question Re: Gigastudio and Terratec EWS88D und Win XP

Oh boy, this is not good

I also have this card EWS88D. I had no Idea there were issues with this card, as Tascam reports it as a GS3 orchestra compatible card. I have not installed GS3 orchestra on my DAW yet I only received it today. I still have yet to install an imaging software to back my current OS just in case of a GS3 crash.

My intention was to run GS3 on a single DAW and rewire it into cubase. Is this issue a concern only with a decicated GS3 computer due to computer to computer (DAW) interface via sound cards, or is it more than that. Are there going to be problems if I install it onto a single DAW with EWS88D card, and rewire it into cubase.

Sorry if I ask dumb questions, I am brand new to GS3

My single computer (DAW)
    P4,. 2.8E Ghz,
    2 GB PC 3200
    Terratec EWS88D sound card
    Harddrive 1 (WD 7200 rpm) - OS system (Win XP Pro, tweeked)
    Harddrive 2 (WD 7200 rpm) - Audio and working files
    2 WD raptor in Raid 0 (10,000 rpm) - Samples only

Software on my DAW
    Cubase SX 2.0 (w/latest updates)
    Kontakt 1.5.3
    EWQL Gold and silver
    GPO,
    PMI bosendorfer 290
    KHSS
    (PMI "Old Lady" for GS3 on order)

That's why there's ebay.

-JF

Terratec has really disappointed me with their lack of response on the GSIF front. I have an EWX 2496, and although the sound quality is as good as any other card's, I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to keep putting up with it everyday.

Hi,

not all hope has gone. I phoned terratec last week, told to the guy there about the problems with terratec cards and GS 3 and I asked him for gsif 2 drivers. They didn't know about this problem until my call (he said) and he promised me to work about it. Let's see! I don't give my DMX 2496 6fire to ebay; I let it in my PC as second sound device and then I made some mixdowns, I will use my delta audiophile. Some day, I hope to have two gsif 2-cards.

regards Kai

Hi!

The interesting thing is that I have sent an Email to the Terratec support on the 2nd of October. Well, the response was quick. But they told me that they have never heard about the problem before but that they are working on a new driver and they will contact me in a couple of weeks. But now it looks that the problem is not that new and I'm still waiting for a solution. Hopefully the solution will come soon because I thing the EWS is really a cool soundcard.

Regards, Peter

Oh, boy! I own 4 - count that 4! - Terratec EWS88D cards - , all with the Clockworks Word Clock card attached running GS 2.54. Just to be fair here, I did try GS3.02 on one of them for the 10 day trial period after hearing multiple reports about the Terratec line and GS3 troubles. I had to try it and see if it really worked. Well, guys, it did - perfectly. I beat 300+ voices out the 2.53Ghz PIV Dell (XP Home SP1a) that it was in for 4 hours straight - no hiccups - with two Gigapulses running, all at the 128 buffer setting. Mind you, I did NOT try the capture function (know that's no good) or ReWire (turned that off). I can attest from my very unscientific test that the EWS88D works *basically*. I have decided to wait still before buying the 4 Giga upgrade licenses that I need, just to see what pans out with Terratec and that "newer" driver that they are supposedly developing. If it's GSIF2 indeed, the 32 channel MIDI onboard will be that much faster! Let's all hope that they are really working on it!!!

Question Re: Gigastudio and Terratec EWS88D und Win XP

Hi again

So I finally sent terratec an e-mail regarding the need for newer drivers, Hopefully I will hear from them soon and wish they would start doing something about this real soon. What about using the Giga VSTi wrapper instead of rewire, does anybody know if that may solve the bouncing audio problem or rewire issue with the terratec card.

Site for Giga VSTi wrapper
    http://www.fx-max.com/

Another thread on Giga wrappers, looks like people are having better luck with this than rewire.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27447

Hi there cinemascore
    You say that the card work fine with GS3 except for audio capture or rewire. But without audio capture or rewire is there another way to capture the track onto a sequencer like Cubase SX. I am just trying to figure out if there is a work around with this card.

I've been checking out RME cards, just in case the terratec thing does'nt work out

Hi,

I keep my Terratec card because it has 5.1 and the sound is amazing. When I play an instrument from GIGA I use the terratec. In wavelab, when I make a recording I use this card again, because the front modul is very comfortable for me. The only things these cards don't can do are rewire and capture. But these are essential functions; what should I do without these? So I bought a cheap GSIF 2 card (Delta Audiophile 2496) for mixdowns and I'm waiting for the new Terratecdriver meanwhile. Then I have two good cards for GIGA!

greetings Kai

Go Back to forum