• Register
  • Help

Topic: About Garritan Ambience reverb and mysterious variation-button

Share/Bookmark

About Garritan Ambience reverb and mysterious variation-button

What does this variation-button in ambience do? Some EQ-thing? I would suggest, that the button would be changed into a knob. It seems that it has an enormous effect into the color of the sound. I have now spent many hours clicking variation-button trying to find the correct color for the strings. And if I happen to find it, the I realize, that it has almost cut off some other instrument with high timbre or something.. anyway, now, when finding a good variation-number, you have to save it as a preset and therefore save all the settings, instead of writing down the number and later just twisting the knob to the correct number. That's why I think a knob would be better. The number is some random seed, right? Or is it even possible to call for the exactly same preset later with the seed?

And when I still remember to ask: is there a manual for all the function in the ambience reverb? GPO manual said to look for the readme in the ambience-directory, but I found none (only ambience-dll-file there). Nor was there a readme-file.

Re: About Garritan Ambience reverb and mysterious variation-button

Ambience is not a Garritan product, but a freely available VST reverb plug-in that was optimized for GPO and then included with the whole GPO package (which I am grateful for!) You may find some information on the Ambience website.

http://www.smartelectronix.com/~magnus/

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Ambience is not a Garritan product, but a freely available VST reverb plug-in that was optimized for GPO and then included with the whole GPO package (which I am grateful for!) You may find some information on the Ambience website.

http://www.smartelectronix.com/~magnus/
    Even here. The 'manual' is not much help.

F'r instance -- What is midi learn? or CPU quality knob -- is optimal 100%?
    or EQ-- exactly which knob reduces the booming bass phenom? What is a good secondary setting.

One might say try for yourself but with so many things in flux (learning curve etc.) that ain't easy. Not to mention that what I hear on playback and what is actually recorded are not identical --- e.g. Mac crackle and pop.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Berg
    Even here. The 'manual' is not much help.

F'r instance -- What is midi learn? or CPU quality knob -- is optimal 100%?
    or EQ-- exactly which knob reduces the booming bass phenom? What is a good secondary setting.

One might say try for yourself but with so many things in flux (learning curve etc.) that ain't easy. Not to mention that what I hear on playback and what is actually recorded are not identical --- e.g. Mac crackle and pop.

Jerry
    Well I answered one of my questions. The ONLY setting for CPU quality is 100%. So, all previous things I was talking about everywhere on this list was blowing only so much smoke out the ol' wazoo. But going back to Mac crackle and pop -- reducing CPU quality is the last thing you should do. Basically what happens is you got people hearing back their stuff at 18% quality and another at 100% -- they're talking two different planets -- two different posts. Suddenly I have VOLUME and no scratch!

jerry

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika
    What does this variation-button in ambience do? Some EQ-thing? is there a manual for all the function in the ambience reverb? GPO manual said to look for the readme in the ambience-directory, but I found none (only ambience-dll-file there). Nor was there a readme-file.
    I have been asking the same question since I started using it a while back. I have another post under general "Ambience for Dummies" hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction. Not much action since it was first posted so I can only assume that people may not be using it. I am kind of hoping that someone with the know how would do a manual as have been done for different using finale with GPO. We can only hope.
    Jim

GPO, Finale 2006, Powermac Dual G4, 2 Gig ram, OS 10.4.1

Quote Originally Posted by jimmol
    I am kind of hoping that someone with the know how would do a manual as have been done for different using finale with GPO. We can only hope.
    I just may add my voice to the concert. Some manual, tutorial or just definitions of parameters would help a lot. I use almost exclusively GPO Studio with Overture. I was only able to decrease CPU quality without damaging too much the quality of the sound, but reducing considerably the crackles. But then, I agree that what you hear is not what you record. Another hope resides in Tracktion, the sequencer from Mackie (free download). I am able to import a dry or wet version in the sequencer after recording it with GPO studio, and then using the internal reverb of the sequencer. Somebody wrote that it was possible to use Ambiance as a VST plug-in, but I never tried.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Ludovic
    I just may add my voice to the concert. Some manual, tutorial or just definitions of parameters would help a lot. I use almost exclusively GPO Studio with Overture. I was only able to decrease CPU quality without damaging too much the quality of the sound, but reducing considerably the crackles. But then, I agree that what you hear is not what you record. Another hope resides in Tracktion, the sequencer from Mackie (free download). I am able to import a dry or wet version in the sequencer after recording it with GPO studio, and then using the internal reverb of the sequencer. Somebody wrote that it was possible to use Ambiance as a VST plug-in, but I never tried.

Louis
    ...and still no response from anybody. How strange.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...861#post235861

Maybe something there will help, maybe not.

As far as loading it as a VST effect, its simple. I've done it thousands of times (alright hundreds) in Cubase. Just copy the Ambience .dll file from the GPO Studio folder on your computer (C:/Programs/Garritan Personal Orchestra/Studio/VST Plugins) to the VST folder of your sequencing program. Another option with some sequencers is to 'search' your PC for VST's.

Thanks to the point on the Ambience thread!
    Jim

GPO, Finale 2006, Powermac Dual G4, 2 Gig ram, OS 10.4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Have you seen this thread?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...861#post235861

Maybe something there will help, maybe not.
    For sure, it helped. Many thanks, Gary.

Louis

Go Back to forum