• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Woodwind Quartet #03" (Excerpt)

Share/Bookmark

"Woodwind Quartet #03" (Excerpt)

All,

Here is one section of my "Woodwind Quartet #03".

GPO instruments are:

Flute Solo KS
    Bb Clarinet Solo
    Oboe 1 Solo
    Bassoon 1 Solo

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resour...dQuartet03.mp3

Regards,

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: "Woodwind Quartet #03" (Excerpt)

Wow this really dances nicely! Love the harmonic balance you've achieved. I'm always envious of people who can achieve such perfect harmonic and melodic balance with woodwinds.
    This is sweet!
    Very nice, do you have any more coming up soon I pray? Man, you people are unbelievable with this library!
    Styxx

Re: "Woodwind Quartet #03" (Excerpt)

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Wow this really dances nicely! Love the harmonic balance you've achieved. I'm always envious of people who can achieve such perfect harmonic and melodic balance with woodwinds.
    This is sweet!
    Very nice, do you have any more coming up soon I pray? Man, you people are unbelievable with this library!
    I am muchly obliged, Styxx.

I have written hundreds of trios, quartets, quintets, etc. Maybe I can put more on line when I convert some of them to GPO.

My best,

Larry A.

Larry,

One small suggestion from the perspective of a wind player: Phrase your parts to give your players (especially the flute in this piece) plenty of room to breathe comfortably. Leave space at the end of each phrase where the player would take a breath. Long phrases without breaks are uncommon - and generally rather uncomfortable for the player. It's more common to use shorter phrases for relaxed breathing (depending upon tempo and dynamic level) - 4 bar phrases are typical, but most of the time the music will logically determine the phrase breaks.

Otherwise, sounding good.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Larry,

One small suggestion from the perspective of a wind player: Phrase your parts to give your players (especially the flute in this piece) plenty of room to breathe comfortably. Leave space at the end of each phrase where the player would take a breath. Long phrases without breaks are uncommon - and generally rather uncomfortable for the player. It's more common to use shorter phrases for relaxed breathing (depending upon tempo and dynamic level) - 4 bar phrases are typical, but most of the time the music will logically determine the phrase breaks.

Otherwise, sounding good.

Tom
    Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate your listening.

These "players" steal a small amount of time from notes, at the end of phrases, in order to take a quick breath. They are so proficient at doing this that it is difficult to hear when they do it.

Regards,

Larry A.

Mr. Alexander, you are the master! Wonderful balance . . . I'm not sure what else to say! And then you say you've written hundreds . . . I'm in awe . . . I can't wait to hear more of your work with GPO! I wish I was smart enough to give constructive criticism, but I'm sure you don't mind praise either . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Nicely done.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Mr. Alexander, you are the master! Wonderful balance . . . I'm not sure what else to say! And then you say you've written hundreds . . . I'm in awe . . . I can't wait to hear more of your work with GPO! I wish I was smart enough to give constructive criticism, but I'm sure you don't mind praise either . . .
    Thank you, Mr. Hannifin, for your kind words.

I certainly consider YOU to be a talented and creative composer and I enjoy listening to YOUR creations.

Best regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Nicely done.
    Thanks.

L.

Larry, this is really a lot of fun! I wish I knew a flautist, clarinetist and bassoonist that I could play this with... Do you sell any sheet music? It's so cheerful.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast