• Register
  • Help

Topic: What sequencer for recording of more than one midi track at a time?

Share/Bookmark

What sequencer for recording of more than one midi track at a time?

I use Logic, and haven\'t adequately been able to record more than one midi track at a time. This option seems to essentially not be implemented in current versions of Logic. I\'ve tried one workaround that resulted in huge latencies and erratic midi behavior.

Is there a sequencer that does this without any trouble? I\'d like to be able to record the output of two midi musicians using separate midi controllers and triggering separate Gigastudio instruments, and record the result discretely on separate tracks in the sequencer.

Or, alternately, does anyone know how to do the above in LAPW 5.3?

thanks and regards,
    Arch.

Re: What sequencer for recording of more than one midi track at a time?

Arch,

I don\'t think your problem is Logic being able to record discrete midi tracks from multiple sources simultaneously, which it and most sequencers have been able to do well for a while.

I think the problem is recording the AUDIO tracks from Gigastudio into Logic.

For many people this can be problematic in terms of latency, clicks, multiclient issues etc., - even when recording a single track.

My guess is that your system is having problems delivering multiple audio tracks into Logic for recording. This could be a limitation of the CPU, your soundcard, or even just a missing setup tweak.

Probably the best guy to talk to about this is Kevin Phelan on the Tascam board, but you\'ll need to be specific about your system, soundcard and routing method.

Good luck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Arch Stanton:

I\'d like to be able to record the output of two midi musicians using separate midi controllers and triggering separate Gigastudio instruments, and record the result discretely on separate tracks in the sequencer.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">try the demo of Cubase SX for this. It treats multitrack MIDI recording similar to multi-track audio recording. Arm tracks and go. However currently you can only separate MIDI Tracks by port, not by channel. So if you have say a MIDIsport 2x2 then you can record two discrete MIDI performances at the same time.

...I\'m currently out of town, so I doubt I\'ll be able to follow up on any replies in a timely fashion, but for sure SX can do this.

-david abraham

I don\'t think your problem is Logic being able to record discrete midi tracks from multiple sources
    simultaneously, which it and most sequencers have been able to do well for a while.

I think the problem is recording the AUDIO tracks from Gigastudio into Logic.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Chadwick,
    I\'m talking about recording simple midi tracks, not including any attempts to record audio. Logic 5.3 runs on a PC with XPhome and sends the midi via AMT8 to a 2nd PC running Giga.

If you are familiar with recording multiple midi tracks in Logic, I\'d appreciate knowing how you handle this.

It may be that this previously was problem-free in Logic, but that the current problems have something to do with Logic\'s recent ``unified midi and audio engine\'\' (as of 4.5?, or 5.0) -- so in a sense it may have something to do with audio.

There doesn\'t seem to be anything in the current documentation about recording mutiple midi tracks. I unsuccesfully tried one workaround. Another workaround I\'ve read about but not yet tried, is to set each midi controller to its own midi channel, record them both on the SAME track and then demix the notes by midi channel to separate them out to separate tracks. Not sure if this one works, will try, but even if it does, I\'m hoping there\'s a more straightforward way. For one of my controllers, I\'m not even sure I know how to set the midi-out channel.

REgards,
    Arch

Go Back to forum