• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: FINALE file with KS Expressions

Share/Bookmark

FINALE file with KS Expressions

Here's a link to a Finale 2005 file which has the keyswitch information programmed into text expressions. No more extra staves or hiding notes.

http://home.mchsi.com/~jeffturner/Ke...xpressions.mus

Following Robert Piechaud's instructions, I've programmed all KS information for the strings, woodwinds and brass instruments. These expressions can be placed as either note or measure expressions. They work instantly on the note they are attached to. There's no need to place the expression before the note.

For the strings, there are multiple sets of expressions because the KS keys are different. The string KS expressions also work for the solo string instruments. The exception being the playable tremolo and trills which use release triggers. The keyswitch actually does trigger the correct key, but you still need to input repeated keystrikes to make it work. There is a restrike midi command in Finale, which uses executable shapes. If there's a brave soul out there who wants to attempt that, be my guest.

All of the trills use the standard trill symbol and will look normal on the page. Just be sure you attach the correct expression.

Similiarly in the woodwinds and brass keyswitches, there are multiple "mute" expressions for example. Each for a different group of instruments.

Each expression has a description line which tells you what instrument the expression is programmed for.

Enjoy,
    Jeff

Re: FINALE file with KS Expressions

Wasn´t enable to open the file. Error ID = -12

Björn

Jeff,

I was able to download your file fine (using Safari). Thanks for the great work!

Speaking of KS solo trills (using triggers), I think they are very clumsy to set up in a notation software. HP standard trills in Fin2005 sound pretty good, so I'm not sure of the benefit of trill release triggers. What do you think?

Thanks again
    Robert

Thanks for posting this, Jeff. I'm sure this will be very useful!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

When I tried to open the file I got an "unrecognized file type" message. I'm using the most current version of Finale, so I don't know what the problem could be.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

It's a Mac 2005 file if that makes a difference. I did add the ".mus" extension. I'll e-mail the file to Gary to see if he has a way of posting the file with less problems.

Jeff

I was able to download it from a copy on the Finale Forum site.
    Great work Jeff! And fast!

Björn

When I tried to open the file I got an "unrecognized file type" message. I'm using the most current version of Finale, so I don't know what the problem could be.
    Windows XP-pro SP2, Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    It's a Mac 2005 file if that makes a difference. I did add the ".mus" extension. I'll e-mail the file to Gary to see if he has a way of posting the file with less problems.

Jeff
    When you want to post a Finale file for PC users to read, try ZIPing it. That way the internet transfer won't mess with the file. I learned that working with a partner who was cursed by Windoze!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

If its for MAC and you added the file extension....its useless to windows users hence the error message. File transfer had nothing to do with it.

Paul O.
    Windows XP-pro SP2, Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast