• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Christmas Song

Share/Bookmark

The Christmas Song

I always wanted to do an arrangement of this song. Its not in the public domain so its not an entry in EWQL contest.

But I hope its the first Christmas song posted at NS this year.

Christmas Song

Re: The Christmas Song

Very nice work, rJames! Not what I was expecting. Nice fresh look at a standard tune. Very creative! Keep up the good work!
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

By the way, did you use Gold or Platinum for that? Any other samples?
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Thanks. I used Gold only. Plus the Sleigh Bells were free from Westgate.

Wow. . . that's great to know as I am installing Gold right now. . . can't wait to try it out. . . why must it take so long to install 4DVDs?

Great work. . enjoyed it!

D. Sorah
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Rjames

Sounds great! really nice full sound. Which strings patches from Gold did you use in the more flowing passages toward beginning, and what Reverb did you use in conjunction with Gold here?

Do some more Christmas I am enjoying it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by brasspig
    Nice fresh look at a standard tune. !
    I don't know this standard -who is the composer, please? Is it really just called "The Christmas Song"?

Nice arrangement; I liked the strings/woodwind blend you got. I think we'd all be interested in some information on the articulations you used, and the mix.

Nigel

Very nice sound and playing rJames. I admire orchestral works but haven't done any yet myself. What would you suggest getting for GigaStudio that is entry level orchestra but still high quality?
    Also what sequencer do you use and do you play all the parts on a keyboard or do you compose the notes in the sequencer?

Thanks,
    JS

Sharmy,

A little extra info: Mel wrote the tune, I believe, in 1944 at the age of 19 - wrote it in about half an hour if I remember the story correctly. Nat recorded it in '45 and it became a hit in '46. You might be thinking of its re-release around 1960. A great tune. My first memory of the tune (Nat's version) is from around 1951 when I was about 3. Wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: The Christmas Song

Thanks for the cultural info, Tom & Sharmy! I've heard the original, I'm pretty sure, so that must mean Ron did quite an unusual arrangement....nice.

Here in Germany everybody has their Christmas lights up since Sunday (1st Advent), often in the front garden......very romantic!

Ron....any details to be had ;-)?

Nigel

Go Back to forum