• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some Seasonal but non-Christmas Music

Share/Bookmark

Some Seasonal but non-Christmas Music

Here is the first movement of Winter from Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons.

This is sort of like a first sketch. I am going to do this with ensembles built from individual players but this version has only one player per part:

Solo – Gagli solo
    1st violin Strad PLR 1
    2nd Violin – Gagli PLR 1
    viola – Viola Solo
    Cello – cell0 solo 1
    Bass – bass solo
    Harpsichord

They're “seated” in the classical position instead of the modern (that is, the first and second violins are opposite each other).

It will eventually have 6 first vlns, 5 second vlns 3 violas and 3 cellos (celli?).

Anyway, I played in all of the notes (slowed down!) including the few trills and will continue to play all of the notes when I build the ensembles.

Blame this being posted early on Styxx’s request for something with harpsichord in it.

What do you think?
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Some Seasonal but non-Christmas Music

It doesn't sound quite right without all the strings needed, so I can't wait for finished version! Otherwise, it's quite a nice rendition of the beautiful piece . . . just needs more fiddles!

The first time my dad went to an orchestra, all the players came out and he said "that's a lot of fiddles!"
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It's a little different but the parts are written so well that they can stand up to only one player to the part, particularly with the harpsichord giving texture. BTW, I had the soloist doubling the first violin, as written, instead of resting between solos, as most do today.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I'll be sure and post it when it is finished and it has "more fiddles". It might be a little while, but I should be done before spring...
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    It might be a little while, but I should be done before spring...
    Good, because in spring you'll have to do the Spring Concerto . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Good, because in spring you'll have to do the Spring Concerto . . .
    Part of the joke is I already posted a version of the 1st movement of spring. I missed posting in spring by 2 days (I posted June 23) but, on the otherhand, it isn't quite winter yet, is it?. Anyway, if you are interested, Here it is. There are more fiddles here, but no harpsichord.
    Trent P. McDonald

Oh, now that was nice and fiddly! Nice work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Thumbs up Re: Some Seasonal but non-Christmas Music

I am very familiar with Vivaldi's Four Seasons and have to admit was a little disappointed at first with the thin sound of one player per part. Yet, this is certainly an excellent rendition of this piece and just as Sean stated,
    so I can't wait for finished version!
    I'll tell you this, I couldn't imagine attempting any of Vivaldi's pieces. The fast bowing alone has to be quite a challenge! You did a fantastic job! Now, fill 'er up with the fiddles!
    Overall, Simon give it two thumbs up!
    Styxx

Sean, thanks. Yes lots of fiddles. I used the sus&short for each section plus as many ensemble strings as I could throw in. There must over 50 string players fiddling away on this (spring, obviously).

Hi Styxx. It wasn’t as hard as I imagined. Most of the fast notes in this are either repeated notes or scales. Not that I’m very good playing scales – if I were one tenth the pianist Daniel is I’d be happy. I slowed it down by about 10 or 12 BPM while recording and still had to fix some stuff, particularly on the solo parts.

I actually got used to this thin version pretty quick. Vivaldi could create music such as it would take someone more talented than me to break. I mean it would take a more... wait a minute... I mean his music was good

It’s going to be a busy month so I might not be able to "fill 'er up with fiddles" before the first of the year, but I will post another more fiddly (fiddlier?) version while it’s still seasonable.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum