• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OK, gentlemen: Pants down! ...

Cool OK, gentlemen: Pants down! ...

Hi there!

Now that the deadline for the GPO-contest is over, everything is done and all decisions are left to the judges: Anyone want to show off, with which pieces they intend to entice the ears of the mighty and godlike panel of judges?

Maybe we could even make a vote after enough people dared to publish their work and find out who the forum thinks made the best piece?

Admins! If this thread is wrong in this forum, then please move it! My only concern was that not as many people read the Demos-Forum...

Personally I submitted 2 pieces. Because 1 of them was 10:30 long, I had to split it up a bit through really bad audio editing. On the other hand, the outcome was not THAT bad....

* Piece 1 already was submited to this forum, but I remixed it from scratch (although this was BEFORE the GPO Updade).
    "Join the Sith!" (1:00, 1MB) Score (for reading along and even purchasing)

* Piece 2 also was composed back in 2002, but I think it is really the best I ever wrote. Intended as an exercise in composing and orchestrating, trying out some harmonic progressions (you'll notice the whole piece is moving up a 4th in every section and it also is built upon 4ths), I thought it would be very fitting. After more than 7 months of work it was nearly ready, then the GPO Update hit the street. So I decided to go back to field 1... Amidst mutliple exams and other important tasks I did some insane shifts and managed to finish a fairly decent mix in the end. Actually I am a bit proud of myself, because in this project I really started to have the feeling that I can contol the sound in the mix.

Gary, if you read this: Thank you for GPO! Thank you so much for this amazing update (Big thanks to the people behing the curtain, too!!)! Thank you for making such a brilliant product! Thank you for making it 200% better through this incredible upgrade! My hope is that this piece will be useful at showing off what you can get out of GPO.

Just listen to the accents on some instruments (and those WONDERFUL string staccatos at 7:19-7:25!) and the wonderful control one has about the sound of the solo strings (e.g. at about 4:00-4:30).

Without forther ado I present my other submission: A classic Overture for the Sith Cycle, including the following sections: The heroic good-guys theme, The inevitable love Theme, March of the Sith, Heroic good-guys theme reprise and finale.
    "Overture" (from the Sith Cycle) (10:30, 10MB) Score (for reading along, more information on the music and even purchasing *hinthint* )
    (My webserver is known for acting up and breaking off downloads. If ths is the case, then please tell me and I provide a mirror)

I would love to listen to YOUR submissions! Don't be shy! Show us!

Greetings from Vienna!
    My website: Above the staff.net

Talking Re: OK, gentlemen: Pants down! ...

Bravo Pete - Very nice! Only thing that was started to bug me was the overuse of bass-drum, but this was quite a tour up and down.

my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: OK, gentlemen: Pants down! ...

A, can I pull mine back up now?

Wow, nice piece of work here. Good luck!

Re: OK, gentlemen: Pants down! ...

Here's mine...

Click Here

West Seneca, NY

Talking Re: OK, gentlemen: Pants down! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Here's mine...

Click Here

Hey JB... dahhhhhhhhh, I can't get it.... aha aha aha aha....

Here's one of my entries. I hope you enjoy it.

I can already say, thank God I'm not a judge.

Excellent work guys. I can't wait to hear it better when I get home.

I'll demand a RE-COUNT.........

Paul O
    Windows XP-pro SP2, Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

I got mine in at the last minute. It was like mission impossible. With Thanksgiving plans, I thought it was impossible, but my wife convinced me to stay awake for 48 hours and get it in.

So who knows how many people entered?

Good job you guys!

Hey guys

Here is my submission:

It is a mini-orchestral suite with 4 movements.

For the longest time I didn't know what to write for this contest, but I went up to my in-laws' cabin on a lake in Northern Wisconsin (where I go to relax and get nature's therapy) and it dawned on me to write about what I feel like when I am up there. The concept has been strong ever since, but the music took a while to come and then I had to spend time working things out in my head - I think that I was waiting to see what the GPO updates would bring, and I am glad I did.

The 7:35 long piece is divided into 4 "scenes". Each musically describes what their title's suggest. (You'll see when you open the page.)

I broke up the mp3 into the 4 separate scene pieces to facilitate shorter download times. I have included the score in pdf format for your convenience.

I wrote the last scene in October, but then struggled to write the other three until last week. From thursday night a week and a half ago to thursday morning of last week night I slept maybe 4 hours at a time. I was really into it, but just as I was getting the score edited, I ran out of time - I finished it just in time, but really feel like it was a sloppy job. I can only hope that the judges can see the music through all my mistakes.

As you listen, I am sure your minds will be more eased. I won't win, but I would have been kicking myself for the next 12 months if I had not entered.

Enjoy - and yes, I would like feedback even though it is really too late to make it better for the contest. But I am always open to helpful hints and tips. My biggest criticism is that trying to squeeze 4 movements into less than 8 minutes gave little development time in the music. I should have kept it at 3 scenes. But oh well. Plus there is a note I deleted in the very last measure of the last page - in the audio version - I had the violins go up. I forgot to delete that note out of the score. See what I mean about sloppiness?

I wrote it all out in Finale first, exported it as a midi file into Cubase SX, then used it as my playback - recorded on my old trusty G3. (capture to disk at the same time as playing always cuases hiccups in my limited hardware). Compiled and edited a last time in ProTools (free version for OS9.x)

Thanks for listening.

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Go Back to forum