• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: NBC and CBS won't show a church's ad, too controversial!!?

Share/Bookmark

NBC and CBS won't show a church's ad, too controversial!!?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi All,

The United Church of Christ (UCC) produced an ad which has been refused by NBC and CBS as "too controversial." Just so you know the UCC is a mainstrean protestant denomination that is the direct descendant of the Pilgrims (of the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock fame). Here's a link to the UCC website where the ad can be seen, please evaluate it for yourself. Is this really too controversial??

http://www.ucc.org/index3.html

Here's a link to an article on Common Dreams on this issue.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1201-22.htm

I'm not disputing that NBC and CBS have the right to refuse advertisements, but this is just a tad hypocritical given the tenor of advertising during the recent election. Is this what we are coming to as a society? This is worse than sad, it's UnAmerican.

Your thoughts and comments please and if you feel so moved please ask the leadership of NBC and CBS to reconsider their decision.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.audiostreet.net/stevechandler
    http://www.soundclick.com/stevechandler

Re: NBC and CBS won't show a church's ad, too controversial!!?

Interesting. I don't see why it's controversial. It's not any more so than any of those stupid Ad Council PSAs that preach to us incessantly about what our morals ought to be. It must just be because it's a church instead of a secular leftist organization.

Still, I think the ad is kind of useless. I mean, I've never seen a church that turned away minorities. Perhaps one exists somewhere, but it's such an exception that it seems like a vast overstatement to even make a point that this particular denomonation doesn't do that.

Actually, I would think the likes of CBS and NBC would love it as it's dripping with political correctness. Go figure.

Personally, there was nothing wrong with that ad at all. Has a true and positive message.

Beeson

I think it's a cool ad...and for an agnostic that's no easy thing. But I feel very uncomfortable about religion being promoted on television. It seems silly I know, next to erectile dysfunction and wealth management but there you go. One of the many things I find baffeling about American culture is the need for Religion to be so prominant. I understand it is very important to some poeple , and I think that is fine. However I find the whole buisness of "you need this in your life too" very upsetting. Surley one of the great aspects in secular society is each to his/her own. I understand there is a free speach issue but as the current political climate clearly demonstrates religion can be used for all the wrong reasons. This ad just reminds me of how energetic the religious community is...and that gives me the willies.

ed

The networks, etc, are "protesting" the FCC's uneven hand, by not airing certain things to make a point.

That's all this is. For instance, I saw Band of Brothers on the history channel, which has graphic, uncut war scenes in it. But, before the election, they would not play Saving Private Ryan. They are trying to send Powell a message.

Quote Originally Posted by dcornutt
    The networks, etc, are "protesting" the FCC's uneven hand, by not airing certain things to make a point.

That's all this is. For instance, I saw Band of Brothers on the history channel, which has graphic, uncut war scenes in it. But, before the election, they would not play Saving Private Ryan. They are trying to send Powell a message.
    I have a different take on this. I think that they are avoiding the commercial, because they are freightened of pissing somebody off. Either the seculars will get mad, or the homophobes. One of the main tenets of the capitalist ethic (huh?) is to maximize your total available market (TAM) by not offending anybody.

Regarding the History Channel, they're a cable channel, not a broadcaster, so they fall under different rules.

You're right that the networks are frustrated with the FCC, but this is a different ball of wax.

-JF

There have been statements made in interviews that they did it because...."they didn't want to get fined". And spoke at length about the uneven hand of the FCC.

You may be right, what you say, is part of it too. Most of the US is opposed to gay marriage. You don't have to be homophobe nor religous to be opposed to gay marriage.

I guess as a private organization, they have the right to behave like the bouncers in the ad!

Right now the country is in such a indentity crisis that things are really weird. I personally don't believe that the majority of people living in the US are so opposed to gays as to want to alter the constitution. I don't even believe that people were offended by seeing Janet's boob.

I do think that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the conservatives are a very squeaky bunch!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by dcornutt
    Most of the US is opposed to gay marriage. You don't have to be homophobe nor religous to be opposed to gay marriage.
    I'm not sure I would agree with that. I am sure such a subset exits but I think it is a very small one

ed

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    One of the main tenets of the capitalist ethic (huh?) is to maximize your total available market (TAM) by not offending anybody.
    That's not a Capitalist ethic, that's just a good strategic move. If you want to know about Capitalist ethics, see www.capitalism.org and read the FAQ.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast